Reuters Reporters Arrested in Myanmar Due to Appear in Court
Two Reuters journalists accused of violating Myanmar's Official Secrets Act are due in court on Tuesday, when prosecutors will present more witnesses in the proceedings to determine whether they should be charged under the colonial-era law. Wa Lone, 31, and Kyaw Soe Oo, 27, had worked on Reuters coverage of a crisis in Rakhine state, where an army crackdown on insurgents since the end of August has triggered the flight of 688,000 Rohingya Muslims, according to the United Nations. The reporters were detained on Dec. 12 after they had been invited to meet police officers over dinner in Yangon. They have told relatives they were arrested almost immediately after being handed some documents at a restaurant by two officers they had not met before. At the last court hearing on Thursday, prosecution witness Police Major Min Thant agreed during cross-examination by the defense that the information in documents that Wa... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline article, Reuters Reporters Arrested in Myanmar Due to Appear in Court, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give 'Phuket Hotel Deals' a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you visit 'VOA NEWS'. Thank you
Popular Asia News Articles
- - Malaysia Upholds Ban on Israeli Athletes from Taking Part in Swimming Competition
- - Thai hotel staff head home after surviving Nairobi terrorism
- - Peace talks with Taliban will happen soon: U.S. envoy
- - China to face Thailand Sunday at Asian Cup
- - Goldman boss apologises for 1MDB scandal
- - Kisenosato, Japan's last remaining sumo champion, retires
- - Phuket maid caught hiding 2,600 meth pills, 3kg of cannabis in client’s house
- - Swedish tourist rescued at Patong Beach
- - Air quality for Thailand – January 17
- - ‘Haute Cuisine:’ Weed Tom Yum Lands Briton In Hot Water
- Older News
- Vote! Top court orders compensation for Myanmar workers Bangkok Post (2 days ago) - The Supreme Court on Tuesday ordered compensation be paid to 14 migrant workers from Myanmar...
- Vote! Reuters' Myanmar Journalists Lose Appeal VOA NEWS (6 days ago) - Two Reuters journalists in Myanmar lost their appeal Friday against their conviction and seven-year jail...
- Vote! Myanmar court rejects appeal by Reuters reporters Bangkok Post (6 days ago) - YANGON: A Myanmar court on Friday rejected the appeal of two Reuters reporters sentenced to...