Reports: China Challenged Australian Warships in South China Sea
Australian warships were challenged by the Chinese military in the disputed South China Sea earlier this month, the Australian Broadcasting Corp reported Friday, citing Australian defense officials. The Australian Defense Department confirmed that three ships had recently traveled to Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam but declined to comment on "operational details related to ships transiting the South China Sea." The ABC cited one official saying the exchanges with the Chinese navy were polite but "robust." "The Australian Defense Force has maintained a robust program of international engagement with countries in and around the South China Sea for decades," the Defense Department said in a statement emailed to Reuters. China recently completed a massive military drill in the South China Sea, where its claims are hotly disputed by Vietnam as well as the Philippines, Malaysia, Brunei and Taiwan. Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull, in London for the Commonwealth Heads of Government... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline article, Reports: China Challenged Australian Warships in South China Sea, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give 'Phuket Hotel Deals' a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you visit 'VOA NEWS'. Thank you
Popular Asia News Articles
- - Overstaying Spaniard arrested for handcuffing and raping Thai woman in Bangkok
- - Serial sex pest arrested in Nonthaburi – he blames Viagra
- - PHUKET XTRA: VIDEO: Elephant goes wild! Phuket wildfire! Bounded body found? || Feb. 20
- - Interpol Red Notice sought for Greek suspect over Phuket beautician murder
- - Four injured as car smashes into electric pole
- - Big Joke: “Dark skinned foreigner” lured pre-teen boys into van for 200 baht oral sex
- - Hong Kong Jewellery Design Competition winners revealed
- - Kim Jong-un unlikely to travel exclusively by rail to Hanoi for second Trump-Kim summit: sources
- - Thais Give Russia, US Right to Extradite Hacking Suspect
- - Uighur Australian's plea to 'save' his family in China
- In the last 5 hours
- Vote! Chinese embassy ‘disgusted’ after Australian senator Barry O’Sullivan blames ‘Chinaman’ for food safety risk SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (Yesterday) - China has condemned remarks made by Australian politician Barry O’Sullivan, who said his country should...
- In the last 24 hours
- Vote! Uighur Australian's plea to 'save' his family in China BBC News Asia (Yesterday) - The man fears that his wife will be detained in China, meaning he may never...
- Older News
- Vote! UK minister's visit to China not going ahead BBC News Asia (5 days ago) - It comes amid reports a speech by the UK's defence secretary has caused upset in...