Pompeo to Visit 4 Latin American Nations in Security, Migration Push
U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo will visit four Latin American countries this week, with a focus on Venezuela's crisis, the surge of migrants at the U.S.southern border, and more security cooperation, U.S. officials said on Tuesday.Pompeo will travel to Argentina, Ecuador, Mexico and El Salvador from Thursday to Sunday, the State Department said.In Argentina, he will attend the second Western Hemisphere Counterterrorism Ministerial where he will also hold bilateral meetings with regional counterparts, including from Chile and the Bahamas, a senior State Department official told reporters."We see this week's ministerial as an important step in bolstering our collective efforts to address these threats and protect our hemisphere from the scourge of terrorism," the official said.In Ecuador, Pompeo, making the first visit by a U.S. secretary of state in nine years, will discuss increased economic and trade ties, fighting drug trafficking and the surge of migrants from Venezuela fleeing that country's economic crisis.Ecuador estimates that some 600,000 Venezuelan citizens entered the country in 2018 via the Colombian border, most of whom continue on toward Peru."They have been taking a heavy pressure of inbound migration from the people expelled by Mr. Maduro's chaos in Venezuela, and they have been doing great work," the official said.Most Western countries, including the United States, back opposition leader Juan Guaido as Venezuela's head of state.Guaido, denounced by President Nicolas Maduro as a U.S. puppet, says Maduro's re-election last year was not legitimate.In Mexico, Pompeo's discussions with his Mexican counterpart, Marcelo Ebrard, will "cover a broad agenda," including migration from Central America to the United States, the official said.The flow of Central American migrants passing through Mexico to seek asylum in the United States has led to both friction and cooperation between the United States and Mexico, which share a 2,000-mile (3,000-km) border and are leading... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Pompeo to Visit 4 Latin American Nations in Security, Migration Push, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Tuesday, 16 July
- In the last 24 hours
- Vote! Pompeo: Iran's Interference Has 'Devastating Humanitarian Consequences' VOA NEWS (Today) - U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has named Iran as the biggest threat to the security and stability of the Middle East. In a speech to the U.N. Security Council...
- Vote! US Aims to Double Financing in Latin America to $12 Billion VOA NEWS (Yesterday) - The United States has created a new agency to promote development around the globe, with a particular emphasis on Latin America.David Bohigian, acting president and chief executive officer of the...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - US Charges Kansas Researcher Over Ties to Chinese University
- - Brazil's Bolsonaro blames Amazon fires on NGOs as Twitter erupts
- - Changing economic trends in Taiwan
- - Trump Denies Telling NRA More Background Checks for Gun Buyers Are 'Off the Table'
- - Trump Imposes Rule Allowing US to Detain Migrant Families Indefinitely
- - Doubts Hang Over Fresh Rohingya Repatriation Attempt to Myanmar
- - Fitbit to offer free wearable devices to Singaporeans in new digital health scheme
- - Rodrigo Duterte hints he will cancel talks with Xi Jinping if barred from raising arbitral ruling over disputed waters
- - Fed will remain flexible, rates not on 'preset course': minutes
- - During Johnson visit, Merkel voices hope on avoiding Brexit chaos