Pompeo in Malaysia for Talks on Free Trade, North Korea
U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is in Malaysia, the first stop of an Asia tour expected to focus on promoting free trade and pressuring North Korea to give up its nuclear weapons. "We do have concerns that North Korea is not meeting its obligations," said a senior State Department official traveling with Pompeo. Since President Donald Trump met North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in June, U.S. officials have been optimistic that Pyongyang will give up its nuclear weapons, though there is no evidence the North has begun that process. Concerns over ongoing nuclear and missile activity in North Korea surged after The Washington Post reported Tuesday that U.S. intelligence officials believe Pyongyang is continuing to build new missiles in the same research facility it used to build intercontinental missiles capable of reaching the East Coast of the United States. North Korea is expected to be a major topic when Pompeo meets his ASEAN counterparts in Singapore later this week. At the summit, Pompeo will press countries to keep Pyongyang "in line" with sanctions, according to a senior State Department official. Pompeo is also expected to discuss conflicts in the South China Sea, the Rohingya crisis in Rakhine state in Myanmar, and cybersecurity. Pompeo landed Thursday in Malaysia. He is the first senior U.S. official to visit Malaysia since Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad was took office following a May election dubbed "quite historic" by a senior State Department official. "We take note of the fact that for the first time in Malaysia's history an election has gone to an opposition coalition. That says a lot for governance and democracy," the senior State Department official added. Ahead of his trip, Pompeo announced $113 million in new regional investments for the Indo-Pacific focused on technology, energy and infrastructure. It is seen... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Pompeo in Malaysia for Talks on Free Trade, North Korea, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Thursday, 2 August, 2018
- Older News
- Vote! North Korea Tests Another Missile, Violating Pledge to Trump VOA NEWS (2 days ago) - North Korea has conducted another missile launch, violating an apparent promise to U.S. President Donald Trump to refrain from such tests after the conclusion of U.S.-South Korean military exercises. ...
- Vote! North Korea to US: Ready for ‘Dialogue or Stand-off’ VOA NEWS (2 days ago) - Updated Aug. 23, 2019 at 12:55 a.m.SEOUL — North Korea warned Friday it is “ready for dialogue or stand-off” with the United States, warning it has given Washington “enough time”...
- Vote! North Korea to US: Ready for ‘Dialogue or Confrontation’ VOA NEWS (3 days ago) - North Korea warned the United States Friday it is “ready for dialogue or confrontation,” stressing it can be “America’s biggest threat” for a long time to come.In a message on...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Impact of Political Satire Is No Joke
- - Computing and ICT students go from strength to strength at BISP
- - 1 policeman dies, 2 hurt in crash chasing suspect
- - Powerful, Obscure Law Is Basis for Trump 'Order' On Trade
- - Brazilian Troops Begin Deploying to Fight Amazon Fires
- - Majority support general debate over Prayut's oath-taking: Poll
- - 'Red Flag Laws' Offer Tool for Preventing Some Gun Violence
- - Netherlands Ambassador Reminisces about Amsterdam and 'Going Dutch'
- - Hong Kong Braces For New Protests
- - Injured, pregnant Kashmiris cut off from emergency aid as phone lines go dead in Modi’s communications blackout