Pompeo Hopes US, North Korea Can Be 'More Creative' in Nuclear Talks
U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Monday he hoped both North Korea and the United States could "be a little more creative" as the two sides push to restart talks aimed at ending Pyongyang's nuclear program.Pompeo did not say when the negotiations would begin.President Donald Trump met with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un last month. During the meeting, Trump became the first sitting U.S. president to cross into North Korea and the pair agreed to restart talks.Trump and Kim have met three times and held two summits over the nuclear issue. Talks in Hanoi in February collapsed without agreement between the two leaders, as the United States insisted North Korea completely denuclearize and North Korea pushed for relief from sanctions."I hope the North Koreans will come to the table with ideas that they didn't have the first time. We hope we can be a little more creative too," Pompeo said in a radio interview on "The Sean Hannity Show""The president's mission hasn't changed: to fully and finally denuclearize North Korea in a way that we can verify.That's the mission set for these negotiations," Pompeo added.Pompeo's remarks come after Chinese President Xi Jinping urged Trump to show flexibility in dealing with Pyongyang and to ease sanctions on the country "in due course."China signed up for U.N. sanctions after North Korea performed repeated nuclear and missile tests, but has suggested they could be reduced as a reward for good behavior.South Korean officials have expressed uncertainty that the talks between the United States and North Korea can take place this month.North Korea has frozen missile and nuclear bomb testing since 2017, but U.S. officials believe Pyongyang has continued to expand its arsenal by producing bomb fuel and missiles.... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Pompeo Hopes US, North Korea Can Be 'More Creative' in Nuclear Talks, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Monday, 15 July
- Older News
- Vote! North Korea Tests More Missiles, Violating Pledge to Trump VOA NEWS (2 days ago) - North Korea has conducted another ballistic missile launch, violating an apparent promise to U.S. President Donald Trump to refrain from such tests after the conclusion of U.S.-South Korean military exercises. ...
- Vote! North Korea Tests Another Missile, Violating Pledge to Trump VOA NEWS (2 days ago) - North Korea has conducted another missile launch, violating an apparent promise to U.S. President Donald Trump to refrain from such tests after the conclusion of U.S.-South Korean military exercises. ...
- Vote! North Korea to US: Ready for ‘Dialogue or Stand-off’ VOA NEWS (2 days ago) - Updated Aug. 23, 2019 at 12:55 a.m.SEOUL — North Korea warned Friday it is “ready for dialogue or stand-off” with the United States, warning it has given Washington “enough time”...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Sudan PM Seeks End toCountry's Pariah Status
- - Trump at Odds with G-7 Leaders on Trade, Iran, N. Korea, Russia
- - Iran's Envoy Makes Surprise Visit at Site of G-7 Summit
- - Former Illinois Congressman Challenges Trump for Republican Presidential Nomination
- - Placido Domingo to Perform for First Time Since Accusations
- - Extinction Bites: Countries Agree to Protect Sharks, Rays
- - At G-7, Trump at Odds with Leaders on Trade, Iran, N. Korea, Russia
- - Tropical Storm Watch Issued for Barbados as Dorian Nears
- - White House: Trump Wishes He'd Boosted China Tariffs Higher
- - Israel says It Attacked Iranian Targets in Syria