Philippines's Duterte Voids Amnesty of Critical MP, Orders His Arrest
Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has revoked an amnesty granted to an opposition lawmaker who has become one his fiercest critics and ordered his arrest. Senator Antonio Trillanes received amnesty in 2011 for his involvement in a failed 2003 coup against then-president Gloria Macapagal Arroyo for her alleged corruption and mismanagement when he was a military officer, as well as leading a military uprising against her four years later. The arrest order printed in the Manila Times Tuesday, says the amnesty was voided because Trillanes failed to comply with all its requirements, including an admission of guilt. Trillanes has accused Duterte of corruption and denounced his brutal crackdown on illicit drug traffickers and criminals, which has led to the deaths of thousands of people and sparked an investigation by the International Criminal Court. Trillanes told reporters in the Philippine Senate that Duterte's order was "a clear case of political... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline article, Philippines's Duterte Voids Amnesty of Critical MP, Orders His Arrest, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give 'Phuket Hotel Deals' a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you visit 'VOA NEWS'. Thank you
Popular Asia News Articles
- - Above the concrete canopy: Hong Kong from the sky
- - Could Thailand become the next big higher-education powerhouse?
- - 'Baby formula ring' leads to six arrests in Australia
- - China economy: Fourth quarter growth slips to 6.4%
- - China's economy grew at slowest pace in 28 years in 2018
- - Vampire bat breakthrough shows bloodsuckers could save lives
- - Asia stocks trade higher as China says its economy grew 6.6 percent in 2018
- - Thailand Tourism Highlights for 2018
- - These are the biggest global risks of 2019
- - Asia stocks gain ahead of Chinese GDP numbers
- Older News
- Vote! Is Duterte seeing the beginning of the end? ASIAN CORRESPONDENT (5 days ago) - A THIRD of the way through his presidency, is Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte already a...