Philippines Eyes Turning Volcano Villages to 'No Man's Land'
The Philippine defense chief has recommended that villages in a danger zone around erupting Mount Mayon be turned into a permanent "no man's land" to avoid evacuating thousands of residents each time the country's most active volcano explodes. President Rodrigo Duterte expressed support for the recommendation of his defense secretary, Delfin Lorenzana, during a meeting Monday with officials dealing with the two-week eruption of Mayon. But he said the government may have to expropriate land from private owners and added that such a move could spark "a social problem again." Mayon has been belching red-hot lava fountains, huge columns of ash and molten rocks into the sky and plunging communities into darkness with falling ash in northeastern Albay province, about 340 kilometers (210 miles) southeast of Manila. More than 80,000 villagers have fled to dozens of schools turned into emergency shelters, where a lack of toilets and other problems with... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline article, Philippines Eyes Turning Volcano Villages to 'No Man's Land', simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give 'Phuket Hotel Deals' a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you visit 'VOA NEWS'. Thank you
Popular Asia News Articles
- - Above the concrete canopy: Hong Kong from the sky
- - Could Thailand become the next big higher-education powerhouse?
- - 'Baby formula ring' leads to six arrests in Australia
- - China economy: Fourth quarter growth slips to 6.4%
- - China's economy grew at slowest pace in 28 years in 2018
- - Vampire bat breakthrough shows bloodsuckers could save lives
- - Asia stocks trade higher as China says its economy grew 6.6 percent in 2018
- - Thailand Tourism Highlights for 2018
- - These are the biggest global risks of 2019
- - Asia stocks gain ahead of Chinese GDP numbers
- Older News
- Vote! Philippines' richest man Sy dies at 94 Bangkok Post (2 days ago) - MANILA: The Philippines' wealthiest man Henry Sy, who rose from being a penniless Chinese immigrant...