Philippines eyes buying first submarines amid row in South China Sea
THE Philippines is set to acquire its first batch of submarines to modernise the defense capabilities of the Armed Forces of the Philippines’ (AFP) modernisation program amid heightened tensions with China over the South China Sea. Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana said on Monday that the country was looking at South Korea, Russia, and other countries to source the submarines. According to the Manila Times, Lorenzana said the production of the submarines would take five to eight years. “If we will order right now, it will be delivered on the third horizon or once the term of President [Rodrigo Duterte] ends,” Lorenzana was quoted as saying. SEE ALSO: Philippines prepared to ‘go to war’ if troops harmed in South China Sea Lorenzana said neighbouring nations such as Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, and Vietnam had submarines and the Philippines required its own to secure its territories. “We are the only ones that does not have it,” Lorenzana said. The Philippines, he said, had recently acquired landing dock vessels for the Philippine Navy such as the BRP Tarlac (LD-601) and BRP Davao del Sur (LD-602) and three frigates, while the Air Force acquired 12 FA-50 fighter jets. The purchase of the submarines is part of the modernisation programme which include new navy ships, helicopters, planes and equipment for the army. On Monday, The Philippines also asked Beijing to stop the Chinese coast guard from taking the catch of Filipino fishermen in the disputed Scarborough Shoal, describing such actions as unacceptable. Local broadcaster GMA News last week aired a report that said Chinese coast guard patrols had made a habit of taking the best catches from fishermen in the area. ... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Philippines eyes buying first submarines amid row in South China Sea, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: ASIAN CORRESPONDENT - Monday, 11 June, 2018
- Older News
- Vote! USS Preble Sails Near Scarborough Shoal in South China Sea VOA NEWS (2 days ago) - The United States military said one of its warships in the South China Sea sailed Monday near the disputed Scarborough Shoal claimed by China and the Philippines. "USS Preble sailed...
- Vote! Coast Guard Gives US New Tool in Disputed South China Sea VOA NEWS (2 days ago) - A rare U.S. Coast Guard exercise in the South China Sea this month shows that the United States is broadening its reach in a disputed waterway, a new pressure point...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Thai Wah Public Company Limited Acquired 33.3% Shares in Tapioca Development Corporation Limited from Japan Corn Starch, Tokyo Japan
- - NIPPON Platform Has Established the Ninth Overseas Branch "NIPPON Platform OÜ" in Estonia
- - 23 bedroom Patong Guest House for lease
- - Slow loris tout arrested at Karon
- - Will Shinzo Abe’s ‘personal chemistry’ with Donald Trump prevent bust-up over trade during US president’s state visit to Japan?
- - 37 bedroon Patong Hotel For Sale
- - “Happy” the drink driving monk tells cops he thought the alcohol was “medicine”
- - Private hospital in trouble for charging Bt30,000 for diarrhoea
- - Tragic Phoenix goes up for auction
- - Prabowo Subianto tells supporters to go home and rest after Indonesian riots over election results leave six dead