Philippines Arrests Suspected Pro-IS Militant Over Siege
Philippine police announced on Monday the arrest of a suspected pro-Islamic State jihadist accused of killing civilians in last year's deadly siege of the southern city of Marawi. Hundreds of gunmen flying black IS flags seized Marawi in May last year, triggering a five-month battle that claimed more than 1,100 lives, in a bid to establish a caliphate in the largely Catholic country. Nasser Lomondot was arrested on Saturday in Manila, months after he fled the fighting in Marawi. "He participated in the killing of innocent civilians and committed violence against female and child hostages," regional military spokesman Major Ronald Suscano told reporters. As government forces battled to wrest back control of Marawi, Lomondot directed a diversionary attack by pro-IS gunmen in the neighbouring town of Marantao, Suscano added. "He was one of the key planners of the attack in Marantao town ...while the firefight was still ongoing" in Marawi, Suscano said. Lomondot was arrested with a second pro-IS suspect, Manila police chief Oscar Albayalde said in a statement. The Philippine military warned last month that the remaining militants from Marawi have mustered a force of about 200 gunmen to launch a second attempt to put up a caliphate in the country's south.... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Philippines Arrests Suspected Pro-IS Militant Over Siege, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Monday, 5 March, 2018
- Older News
- Vote! Wife of arrested militant dies in explosion in North Sumatra, say Indonesian police SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (5 days ago) - The wife and child of an arrested militant who was plotting attacks in the Indonesian capital have died in an explosion during a siege of their home in North Sumatra,...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Asian stocks mixed as investors await US-China trade developments
- - All-girls international school comes to Bangkok
- - Chiang Mai joins Global Climate Strike on its most polluted day.
- - Flash Floods, Earthquake in Indonesia Kill Over 80
- - Air Pollution Cuts Lives Short by More Than Two Years in Thailand
- - One dead, kids injured in school bus accident in Prachinburi
- - Indonesia’s gambling with a tax on e-commerce. Will it pay off?
- - Should Media Avoid Naming the Gunmen in Mass Shootings?
- - Water sharing in Indonesia key to smothering transboundary haze
- - Asian stocks trade higher as investors await US-China trade developments