Parliament building torched and city paralysed as thousands protest in Papua, Indonesia
Riots broke out and a local parliament building was torched in Indonesia’s Papua on Monday, as thousands protested against the weekend detention of pro-independence student activists.A reporter on the scene estimated several thousand protesters took to the streets of Manokwari, the capital of West Papua province, bringing the city of some 130,000 to a standstill.Some demonstrators set fire to shops and vehicles, knocked down street signs, and threw rocks at government buildings.“The parliament…... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Parliament building torched and city paralysed as thousands protest in Papua, Indonesia, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST - Monday, 19 August
- In the last 5 hours
- Vote! Malaysia, Indonesia shut thousands of schools over forest fires haze Bangkok Post (Today) - KUALA LUMPUR: Thousands of schools were shuttered across Malaysia and Indonesia Thursday, affecting at least 1.7 million pupils, officials said, as toxic haze from rampant forest fires sent air quality...
- Vote! Malaysia, Indonesia close thousands of schools as toxic haze intensifies SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (Today) - Thousands of schools were closed across Malaysia and Indonesia on Thursday, affecting at least 1.7 million pupils, officials said, as toxic haze from rampant forest fires sent air quality plummeting.Nearly...
- Older News
- Vote! Indonesia raises minimum age for brides to 19 in bid to end child marriage SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (2 days ago) - Indonesia’s parliament has revised the country’s marriage law to lift the minimum age at which women can marry by three years to 19, a move welcomed by campaigners as a...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Wichit Municipality opens flood-relief donations center
- - Concerns raised again over Phuket wild monkey populations
- - Ex-Japanese Energy Company Executives Acquitted in Fukushima Disaster
- - Water outage to hit Kathu, Koh Kaew
- - PM Prayut donates 100,000 baht to help flood victims
- - Bermuda Battens Down for Category 3 Hurricane Humberto
- - Polarized Politics Deepens Divide Over Who Is a 'Real' American
- - France’s Macron Toughens Immigration Stance Amid Fears of More Asylum Seekers
- - LA 'Tent Cities' Becoming Shantytowns, Expert Says
- - Trump 'Substantially' Increases Iran Sanctions, Blaming Tehran for Saudi Oil Field Attacks