Papal Adviser Jailed For Child Abuse In Australia
Convicted child abuser Cardinal George Pell, a former senior adviser to the Pope, has been jailed for six years for abusing two altar boys in Australia. He is the most senior Catholic official to be convicted of such offenses. He has appealed against his conviction, arguing his trial had a "fundamental irregularity.” Cardinal George Pell was told he had shown ‘breath-taking arrogance’ and a ‘callous indifference’ to his victims when he sexually assaulted them at St. Patrick’s Cathedral in Melbourne in the 1990s. Pell was the city’s archbishop at the time, and was unanimously found guilty by a jury last December, a decision that could not be reported until last month for legal reasons. He has been sent to prison for six years, but could be eligible for parole in three years and eight months. The chief judge, Peter Kidd, said the cardinal should not be a scapegoat for the failings of the Catholic Church, which is facing a global child abuse crisis. The conviction of a man who was Australia’s most powerful cleric has sent shock waves through the Church, where Pell was one of Pope Francis's closest advisers and a former Vatican treasurer. The 77-year-old Australian cleric had been seen as the Church's third most powerful official. Judge Kidd said his crimes deserved a significant punishment. “While it is a matter of speculation as to how long you will live, the fact is you are of advanced years and are entering the last phase of your life. Like anyone in their late 70s your health will decline in time. I am conscious that the term of imprisonment which I am about to impose upon you carries with it a real, as distinct from theoretical, possibility that you may not live to be released from prison,” Kidd said. Pell... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Papal Adviser Jailed For Child Abuse In Australia, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Wednesday, 13 March
- Older News
- Vote! Australia Rescues Children of Dead Islamic State Fighters VOA NEWS (Yesterday) - Australia has rescued the children and grandchildren of two dead Islamic State fighters from a Syrian refugee camp. The Australian prime minister Scott Morrison said they could not be held...
- Vote! Australia Rescues ISIS Orphans in Syria VOA NEWS (Yesterday) - Australia has rescued the children and grandchildren of two dead Islamic State fighters from a Syrian refugee camp. The Australian prime minister Scott Morrison said they could not be held...
- Vote! 100,000 South Koreans call for dismissal of judge who reduced jail sentence of child rapist over ‘insufficient evidence’ SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (6 days ago) - More than 100,000 people in South Korea are demanding the dismissal of a judge who reduced the prison sentence of a child rapist to three years.The offender, identified only by...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - TAT chief blames high baht and lack of Europeans for drop in Thai tourism
- - 75 tonnes of marijuana and Kratom destroyed in Nakhon Phanom
- - Bank of Thailand eyes measures to curb hot money
- - Police chief transferred for allowing prostitution in Pattaya, foreign bar owners deported and blacklisted
- - In NATO Debut, New Pentagon Chief Aims to ‘Internationalize' Iran Effort
- - Eneco Holdings, Inc. to Spark Fuel Revolution with Low-Price, High-Concentration, Scalable Hydrogen-generation Technology
- - Georgian Parliament Elects Ruling Party Candidate as New Speaker
- - Argentine Official, in China, Talks Nuclear Deal and Soymeal
- - Rescue team delivers baby girl in tuk-tuk stuck in Phuket traffic jam
- - Three arrested with over 12,000 meth pills and crystal meth in Thalang, Phuket