Ottawa's Ambassador Meets with 2nd Canadian Citizen Arrested in China
China has allowed the Canadian ambassador to meet with a second Canadian citizen detained for reasons that are still unclear, the foreign ministry in Ottawa said. Ambassador John McCallum spoke with Canadian business executive Michael Spavor on Sunday — two days after he met with another Canadian detainee, former diplomat Michael Kovrig. A foreign ministry statement said Sunday the ambassador will continue providing consular services to Spavor and will seek further access to him. China detained both men after Canadian police arrested senior Chinese telecom executive Meng Wanzhou earlier this month in Vancouver on a U.S. warrant. Meng is out on bail awaiting possible extradition to the United States on charges of evading U.S. sanctions against Iran. Canada denies Meng's arrest was a political move. It says it was purely a judicial matter and a case of Canada living up to its treaty obligations to the United States. "We are... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline article, Ottawa's Ambassador Meets with 2nd Canadian Citizen Arrested in China, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give 'Phuket Hotel Deals' a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you visit 'VOA NEWS'. Thank you
Popular Asia News Articles
- - Hakeem al-Araibi: Bahrain says refugee footballer's life is not in danger
- - BOI recorded 900 bn baht investment applications in 2018
- - Canada Dismisses China's Warning of Huawei Ban Repercussions
- - The first round of GTI Taipei & Online Games Expo 2019
- - Exhibition and business meeting event providing the latest information to supermarkets and the food distribution industry
- - Café Malaysia 2019 celebrates the country’s dynamic coffee culture and its world class achievements
- - Top US Navy Officer Urges China to Avoid Confrontations
- - Spokesman: Myanmar Army Kills 13 Rebels in Rakhine Clashes
- - North Korea's Kim Yong-chol meets Mike Pompeo in Washington
- - Radical Cleric Linked to Bali Bombing to Be Freed from Prison
- In the last 24 hours
- Vote! Canada Dismisses China's Warning of Huawei Ban Repercussions VOA NEWS (Today) - Canada's government on Friday dismissed China's warning of repercussions if Ottawa banned Huawei Technologies Co...
- Older News
- Vote! US Says China’s Death Sentence Against Canadian Political VOA NEWS (2 days ago) - The U.S. State Department said Wednesday China’s death sentence on a Canadian man is “politically...
- Vote! China Warns Citizens About Travel to Canada VOA NEWS (3 days ago) - China issued an advisory to its citizens Tuesday, urging them to "fully assess the risks...