Official: Border Skirmishes with India Kill 35 in Pakistani Kashmir
A top official in Pakistan disclosed Tuesday that recent cross-border skirmishes with India have killed dozens of people and injured hundreds of others on the Pakistani side of the disputed Kashmir region.The revelation came a day after U.S. President Donald Trump spoke to leaders of both nuclear-armed rival nations and urged them to reduce tensions, although he described the situation as "tough."Pakistan also announced Tuesday it would take the Kashmir dispute with India to International Court of Justice. Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi told local television channels the Pakistani government has taken the decision "after considering all legal aspects" of the case.The military escalation stems from New Delhi's controversial scrapping of decades-old limited constitutional autonomy for its part of Kashmir earlier this month, splitting the region into two union territories.A neighborhood street is blocked with tree branches by Kashmiri protesters in Srinagar, Aug. 19, 2019.Islamabad swiftly rejected and condemned the August 5 move as a breach of bilateral, as well as international, understandings blocking both countries from altering the status of Kashmir."Relentless firing is ongoing. Indians have used cluster munitions in these clashes. So far, nearly 35 people have died, hundreds are injured, houses, shops and crops destroyed while livestock also have been killed," said Masood Khan, the president of Pakistani Kashmir.He did not explain while addressing a news conference in Islamabad whether the death toll was for civilians or included the military losses. Khan warned the intensifying shelling has developed into a serious crisis, and it could be an Indian ploy to launch a major offensive against his region.People chant slogans to observe Black Day over India's decision to revoke the special status of Jammu and Kashmir, during a protest in Peshawar, Pakistan, Aug. 15, 2019.The Pakistan army has so far confirmed the killing of four of its soldiers... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Official: Border Skirmishes with India Kill 35 in Pakistani Kashmir, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Tuesday, 20 August
- In the last 24 hours
- Vote! Militant Fire From Across Afghan Border Kills 4 Pakistani Soldiers VOA NEWS (Yesterday) - Pakistan said Saturday four of its soldiers were killed and another was injured when “terrorists” from across the Afghanistan border opened fire at two locations.The deadliest of the shootings occurred...
- Older News
- Vote! Indian Actions in Kashmir Will Foster Extremism, Pakistan's PM Warns VOA NEWS (2 days ago) - Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan has warned that India's recent actions concerning the disputed region of Kashmir will give rise to extremism among Muslims in India and around the world."When...
- Vote! India's crackdown on Kashmir will spur global Muslim extremism: Imran Khan REUTERS ASIA NEWS (2 days ago) - India's crackdown on protests and dissent in Kashmir will drive more of the world's Muslims into extremism, Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan said during a fiery speech on Friday, in...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Tropical Storm Warning Discontinued in Bahamas
- - 'Bull' Wins Top Prize at Deauville
- - Afghan Government Says Elections First, Peace Deal Afterward
- - Bangkok losing its gloss
- - Congo: Confirmed Ebola Deaths Near 2,000, Cases Over 3,000
- - Zimbabwe's Mugabe Gets Tepid Turnout at Final Public Sendoff
- - Osama bin Laden's son Hamza killed in U.S. raid, Trump says
- - Afghan Taliban send team to Russia after U.S. talks collapse
- - US Hospital Ship Dispatched for Migrants in Trinidad and Tobago
- - Bangladesh tries to muffle the siren song of the capital