Number of Ebola Orphans Spikes as Epidemic Spreads in Eastern DRC
The U.N. children's fund reports the number of children orphaned by Ebola or separated from their parents because of the disease in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo has more than doubled since April.Since the epidemic was declared more than one year ago, aid agencies have registered 1,380 children who have lost one or both parents to Ebola. During the same period, nearly 2,470 children have been separated from parents undergoing treatment for the disease or isolated because they have come in contact with an infected person.World Health Organization figures put the number of Ebola cases at 2,831, including nearly 1,900 deaths. UNICEF spokeswoman Marixie Mercado says more children are getting sick and dying in this epidemic than in previous ones.FILE - Health workers begin their shift at an Ebola treatment center in Beni, Democratic Republic of Congo, July 16, 2019."In this epidemic, about 30 percent of the cases are among children, whereas in previous epidemics, the proportion was about 20 percent," Mercado said. "As of the fourth of August, there were 787 children below 18 who were infected with Ebola and there have been 527 deaths."Mercado says the children are under enormous stress and need extensive physical, psychosocial and social care. Given the more than doubling of children in need, she says these specialized services must be urgently scaled up, especially in Beni, where the largest number of children are affected."For children with no surviving parents, the needs are longer term," she said. "The teams work to place children with relatives or foster families, which is not easy given the economic burden of raising extra children and the fear of catching the disease or being associated with it. It often requires delicate mediation, as well as financial support for food, school fees and other basic necessities."The work being done by... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Number of Ebola Orphans Spikes as Epidemic Spreads in Eastern DRC, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Thursday, 15 August
- Older News
- Vote! No new Measles Cases Reported in Fading US Outbreak VOA NEWS (2 days ago) - The nation’s worst measles epidemic in 27 years could be in its final stages as a week went by with no new reported cases.“To get to zero is tremendously encouraging,”...
- Vote! US Health Secretary Applauds Uganda’s Ebola Control Efforts VOA NEWS (2 days ago) - U.S. Secretary for Health and Human Services Alex Azar has applauded Uganda's efforts to control the spread of Ebola in east and central Africa; however, while the U.S. remains the...
- Vote! Congo: Confirmed Ebola Deaths Near 2,000, Cases Over 3,000 VOA NEWS (4 days ago) - Congo's National Ebola Response Committee says confirmed Ebola deaths in the east of the sprawling African nation are nearing 2,000 and confirmed cases of the virus have exceeded 3,000.The committee...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Nigerian Boxing Mixes 'Bloodsport' with Mixed Martial Arts while Generating Income for Fighters
- - Explosion Kills 24 People at Election Rally in Northern Afghanistan
- - Blast kills 24 near election rally for Afghan president: health official
- - Blast outside rally in central Afghanistan kills at least 24
- - The Future of Colombia's Peace Accord in Doubt
- - Edhi Foundation Providing Homes for Pakistan's Orphans
- - Pakistan, India Join Russia-Led Military Drills Despite Kashmir Tensions
- - Ghani Escapes Election Violence That Killed 24
- - Taliban attacks kill 30, Afghan leader unhurt as bomb hits rally
- - Explosion hits Afghan capital Kabul, six killed