North, South Korea to Meet in 2022 World Cup Qualifiers
North Korea and South Korea have been drawn together in an Asian qualifying group for soccer's 2022 World Cup.The Korean neighbors will play each other home and away in the five-nation Group H that includes Lebanon, Turkmenistan and Sri Lanka.Saudi Arabia and Yemen were also paired in Wednesday's draw that involved 40 national teams and some political sensitivities.The Saudis, which played at the 2018 World Cup, are top-seeded in Group D that also has Uzbekistan, Palestine and Singapore.Top-ranked Iran was drawn with neighboring Iraq, plus Bahrain, Hong Kong and Cambodia, in Group C.United Arab Emirates is top-seeded in a Group G loaded with Southeast Asian derbies, involving Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia.Australia, which plays in the Asian soccer confederation, will play Jordan, Taiwan, Kuwait and Nepal in Group B.World Cup host Qatar also plays as this group stage doubles up as qualifiers for the 2023 Asian Cup being played in China. Qatar will play Oman, India, Afghanistan, Bangladesh in Group E.China is in Group A with Syria, Philippines, Maldives and Guam. Japan is in Group F with Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Myanmar and Mongolia.The eight groups play from September through June.Group winners and the four best runners-up advance to another group stage, played from September 2020 to October 2021. Those 12 teams also qualify for the 2023 Asian Cup.Four Asian teams will qualify directly for the World Cup. A fifth nation can advance to Qatar in an intercontinental playoff round in March 2022.... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, North, South Korea to Meet in 2022 World Cup Qualifiers, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Wednesday, 17 July
- In the last 2 hours
- Vote! Young Ekanit 'just happy' to be in camp Bangkok Post (Today) - First-timer Ekanit Panya is making no effort to hide his delight at being named among the probables for the Thai national team which will take part in the Asian qualifiers...
- In the last 24 hours
- Vote! Envoy Says US Ready to Restart North Korea Nuclear Talks VOA NEWS (Today) - U.S. envoy for North Korea Stephen Biegun says the Trump administration is ready to resume stalled negotiations over North Korea's nuclear program.Speaking Wednesday in Seoul where he was meeting with...
- Older News
- Vote! Allow Iranian Women to Attend Matches, Says Asian Soccer Official VOA NEWS (Yesterday) - Iranian women should be allowed to attend men's World Cup qualifiers in the Islamic Republic later this year, a top Asian soccer official said Tuesday, ramping up pressure on Tehran...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Singapore universities pull plug on Hong Kong stints for students on government advice
- - Brazil President Blames NGOs for Record Amazon Wildfires
- - WHO: Plastic Particles in Drinking Water Pose ‘Low’ Risk
- - South Korean asset firm cashes in on anti-Japan anger with patriotic equity fund
- - Singapore PM Lee Hsien Loong’s wife Ho Ching defends his US$1.6 million salary
- - Fitbit to offer free wearable devices to one million Singaporeans in new health scheme
- - Singapore hits back at Elon Musk, saying electric cars are a ‘lifestyle’ and mass transit better for climate
- - Behind bras: GMS Duty Free calls for donated intimates for inmates
- - First Asean-US maritime exercise set for Sept in Thailand
- - Industry Ministry to promote small business stimulus plan