North Korean Parade Tricky Prelude to Inter-Korean Summit
As North Korea prepares for a massive parade Sunday featuring thousands of goose-stepping soldiers and lots of scary-looking missiles, worry is rising in South Korea that a tentative, hard-won detente is starting to slip away. An authoritarian nation obsessed with big milestones, North Korea will use the celebration for the 70th anniversary of its national founding to glorify Kim Jong Un as a leader who’s standing up for a powerful nation surrounded by enemies. Kim will also welcome a delegate from his most important ally, senior Chinese official Li Zhanshu, the third-ranking official of the country’s ruling party and head of its rubberstamp parliament, whose presence at the parade would underscore Beijing’s important status in international efforts to solve the nuclear crisis. That’s a role South Korean President Moon Jae-in covets, and one of several reasons why the pressure will be intense when he travels to North Korea later this... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline article, North Korean Parade Tricky Prelude to Inter-Korean Summit, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give 'Phuket Hotel Deals' a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you visit 'VOA NEWS'. Thank you
Popular Asia News Articles
- - Young doctor eyes poll win
- - Carlos Ghosn makes new request for bail, offering up passports and Nissan stock as collateral
- - Trump, Pelosi again butt heads over shutdown
- - Spurs squeak by Fulham, City win handily
- - U.S. Senator Graham urges Trump to meet Pakistan PM Khan
- - ‘Lub d’ Chaweng beach Koh Samui
- - World's Oldest Living Man Dies
- - Ex-Nissan Chairman Ghosn Asks for Bail, Promises Not to Flee
- - Demand for ‘expat apartments’ remain high in Bangkok
- - Another Trump-Kim summit may be good for diplomacy, but will do little for denuclearization
- In the last 12 hours
- Vote! North Korean Art Troupe to Visit China VOA NEWS (Today) - A North Korean art troupe will visit China starting on Wednesday, Chinese state media said...
- Older News
- Vote! Trump: US 'Made a Lot of Progress' With N. Korea VOA NEWS (Yesterday) - U.S. President Donald Trump said Saturday that he had an "incredible" meeting with North Korean nuclear envoy Kim Yong...
- Vote! Trump-Kim Summit II confirmed, possibly in Thailand Bangkok Post (2 days ago) - WASHINGTON: President Donald Trump will hold a second summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong...