North Korean Defector Aims to 'Wake Up' Compatriots
Kim Joo Il’s quiet office in a suburb of southwest London could hardly be more different from the hardships he faced serving as a captain in the North Korean army. Kim fled North Korea in 2005 by swimming across a river in his home province of northern Hamkyong. After four hours drifting in the river, he reached China. From there, he traveled through Vietnam, Cambodia and then Thailand, finally reaching Britain two years later. He now edits the newspaper Free NK from the British capital, which aims to expose the reality of life in the isolated state and the abuses carried out by its government. Kim says he fled his homeland because of growing despondency and disillusionment with North Korea’s dictatorship. He believes more North Koreans would try to flee if not for the fear of retaliation against family members left behind. His hometown of Kilju-gun is in the... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline article, North Korean Defector Aims to 'Wake Up' Compatriots, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give 'Phuket Hotel Deals' a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you visit 'VOA NEWS'. Thank you
Popular Asia News Articles
- - Apirat urged to remain neutral
- - Khao Yai blazes brave new trail
- - Report: US Wants Pledge for Stable Chinese Yuan as Talks Resume
- - Fashion mastermind Lagerfeld dies
- - Memorial Speaks to North Korea's Ties to Summit Host Vietnam
- - Factbox: Pakistan, India troop strength and weapons
- - If Korean war ends after Trump-Kim summit in Hanoi, will Seoul still require national service?
- - Weather for February 20
- - Trump: 'No Rush' to See North Korea Denuclearize
- - Trump Says No 'Magical Date' for Imposing More Tariffs on China
- In the last 5 hours
- Vote! Children in North Korean-built kindergarten practise Korean songs for Kim Jong-un ahead of Trump-Kim summit 2019 in Hanoi SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (Today) - Wearing traditional dress, the children in Hanoi’s only North Korean-founded kindergarten belt out Korean songs...
- In the last 24 hours
- Vote! Children in North Korean-built kindergarten practise Korean songs for Kim Jong-un ahead of second Trump-Kim summit in Hanoi SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (Yesterday) - Wearing traditional dress, the children in Hanoi’s only North Korean-founded kindergarten belt out Korean songs...
- Older News
- Vote! Pompeo: US Aims to ‘Get as Far Down Road as We Can' with N Korea VOA NEWS (6 days ago) - The United States aims to "get as far down the road as we can" ahead...