North Korea Tests New 'Tactical Guided Weapon'
North Korea has tested a new “tactical guided weapon,” the latest display of Pyongyang's military capabilities, state media reported Thursday. Kim Jong Un supervised and guided the test, calling it an operation of “very weighty significance,” the official Korean Central News Agency said. The report did elaborate on the type of weapon, but the phrase “tactical” suggests it is not a long-range ballistic missile. U.S. officials have not commented on the test. "The design indexes of the tactical guided weapon, whose advantages are appreciated for the peculiar mode of guiding flight and the load of a powerful warhead, were perfectly verified at the test-fire conducted in various modes of firing at different targets," KCNA said. North Korea has not carried out a major provocation such as a nuclear or long-range missile test for well over a year, since Kim began talks with the United States and South Korea. Instead, the North has carried out smaller provocations. In November, Kim oversaw the test of what KCNA also referred to as a newly developed “high-tech tactical weapon.” U.S. officials later played down the significance of that test. Stalled talks Nuclear talks between the United States and North Korea have been stalled since a February meeting in Hanoi between Kim and U.S. President Donald Trump ended in no deal. Trump wants Kim to completely abandon his nuclear weapons program in exchange for sanctions relief. Kim has only offered limited steps toward denuclearization. Last week, Kim said he was open to another summit with Trump, but warned he would only give the U.S. until the end of the year to change its “approach” to the negotiations. A North Korean official said last month that Kim is considering resuming missile tests and pulling out of the talks with the United States. Increase in provocations? Meanwhile,... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, North Korea Tests New 'Tactical Guided Weapon', simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Wednesday, 17 April
- Older News
- Vote! US OKs Possible $314M Missile Deal for S. Korea VOA NEWS (5 days ago) - The U.S. State Department has cleared $314 million in possible sales of air defense missiles to South Korea, the Pentagon said, as tensions re-emerge on the Korean Peninsula. South Korea,...
- Vote! North Korea Asks UN to Address Ship Seizure by ‘Gangster’ US VOA NEWS (5 days ago) - North Korea has asked United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres to deal with the “illegal” seizure of one of its cargo ships by the United States, state media said Saturday. “This...
- Vote! North Korea seeing worst drought in a century as UN warns of ‘serious concerns’ for food, people SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (6 days ago) - North Korea is experiencing its worst drought in over a century, official media reported on Friday, days after the World Food Programme expressed “very serious concerns” about the situation in...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Panasonic joins firms stepping away from Huawei after US ban
- - Indonesian Protesters, Police Clash in Second Night of Post-election Unrest
- - Slowdown won't keep Chinese from calling Bangkok 'second home'
- - Study: Ozone-Killing Chemicals Traced to China
- - Smokin’ hut: Singapore’s solution for cigarette puffers
- - India election result: moment of truth arrives for Narendra Modi and BJP as vote counting begins
- - The true measure of Indian democracy is found outside the ballot box
- - Gama may become Muang Thong coach
- - 14 smuggled Burmese migrants rescued and alleged trafficker arrested
- - America and Japan’s vision of an Indo-Pacific free from Chinese threat runs into deep waters