North Korea Tests New 'Tactical Guided Weapon'
North Korea has tested a new “tactical guided weapon,” the latest display of Pyongyang's military capabilities, state media reported Thursday. Kim Jong Un supervised and guided the test, calling it an operation of “very weighty significance,” the official Korean Central News Agency said. The report did elaborate on the type of weapon, but the phrase “tactical” suggests it is not a long-range ballistic missile. U.S. officials have not commented on the test. "The design indexes of the tactical guided weapon, whose advantages are appreciated for the peculiar mode of guiding flight and the load of a powerful warhead, were perfectly verified at the test-fire conducted in various modes of firing at different targets," KCNA said. North Korea has not carried out a major provocation such as a nuclear or long-range missile test for well over a year, since Kim began talks with the United States and South Korea. Instead, the North has carried out smaller provocations. In November, Kim oversaw the test of what KCNA also referred to as a newly developed “high-tech tactical weapon.” U.S. officials later played down the significance of that test. Stalled talks Nuclear talks between the United States and North Korea have been stalled since a February meeting in Hanoi between Kim and U.S. President Donald Trump ended in no deal. Trump wants Kim to completely abandon his nuclear weapons program in exchange for sanctions relief. Kim has only offered limited steps toward denuclearization. Last week, Kim said he was open to another summit with Trump, but warned he would only give the U.S. until the end of the year to change its “approach” to the negotiations. A North Korean official said last month that Kim is considering resuming missile tests and pulling out of the talks with the United States. Increase in provocations? Meanwhile,... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, North Korea Tests New 'Tactical Guided Weapon', simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Wednesday, 17 April
- In the last 5 hours
- Vote! At G-7, Trump says he is not happy about North Korea missile tests CNBC - ASIA (Today) - President Donald Trump said Sunday he was not happy after North Korea launched short-range ballistic missiles over the weekend....
- Vote! North Korea tests ‘super-large multiple rocket launcher’, Trump ‘not happy’ about it SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (Today) - North Korean leader Kim Jong-un oversaw the test of a “super-large multiple rocket launcher” on Saturday, state news agency KCNA reported.US President Donald Trump on Sunday said he was “not...
- In the last 12 hours
- Vote! N. Korea's Kim oversaw test of 'multiple rocket launcher': KCNA Bangkok Post (Today) - SEOUL: North Korean leader Kim Jong Un again supervised the test-firing of a "newly developed" weapon, state media reported Sunday -- further muddying the waters for any resumption of denuclearisation...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Impact of Political Satire Is No Joke
- - Computing and ICT students go from strength to strength at BISP
- - 1 policeman dies, 2 hurt in crash chasing suspect
- - Powerful, Obscure Law Is Basis for Trump 'Order' On Trade
- - Brazilian Troops Begin Deploying to Fight Amazon Fires
- - Majority support general debate over Prayut's oath-taking: Poll
- - Commemoration of 400th Anniversary of Slavery Brings Calls for Reflection, Unity
- - G-7 Meets in France
- - Trump Touts USMCA in Meeting with Canada PM Trudeau
- - Explainer: Migrant Protection Protocols