North Korea Holds Military Parade on Eve of South Korean Winter Olympics
North Korea staged a military parade in Pyongyang Thursday, one day before the opening ceremonies of the Winter Olympics in rival South Korea. Government sources in Seoul say tens of thousands of people participated or attended the parade and rally in Kim Il Sung Square to mark the 70th anniversary of the isolated nation's military. North Korea normally marks April 25 as the day when regime founder Kim Il Sung, the grandfather of current leader Kim Jong Un, established the first revolutionary army. But the government announced last month that it was moving the celebration to February 8, in an apparent attempt to draw international attention before it turns to Friday's Olympics opening ceremonies in the host city of Pyeongchang. Military parades in North Korea usually showcase goose-stepping soldiers and rolling displays of new weapons in their arsenal, but it was not immediately clear whether the weapons were a part... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline article, North Korea Holds Military Parade on Eve of South Korean Winter Olympics, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give 'Phuket Hotel Deals' a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you visit 'VOA NEWS'. Thank you
Popular Asia News Articles
- - Apirat urged to remain neutral
- - Khao Yai blazes brave new trail
- - Report: US Wants Pledge for Stable Chinese Yuan as Talks Resume
- - Fashion mastermind Lagerfeld dies
- - Memorial Speaks to North Korea's Ties to Summit Host Vietnam
- - Factbox: Pakistan, India troop strength and weapons
- - If Korean war ends after Trump-Kim summit in Hanoi, will Seoul still require national service?
- - Weather for February 20
- - Trump: 'No Rush' to See North Korea Denuclearize
- - Trump Says No 'Magical Date' for Imposing More Tariffs on China
- In the last 5 hours
- Vote! Hanoi Summit May Advance North Korea’s Objectives, Experts Say VOA NEWS (Today) - With the second summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong...
- Vote! Children in North Korean-built kindergarten practise Korean songs for Kim Jong-un ahead of Trump-Kim summit 2019 in Hanoi SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (Today) - Wearing traditional dress, the children in Hanoi’s only North Korean-founded kindergarten belt out Korean songs...
- Vote! Seoul pledges to keep pace with US pressure on North Korea ahead of Trump-Kim summit 2019 SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (Today) - South Korea has downplayed American concerns that it is moving too quickly on rapprochement with...