North Korea a No-Show for Talks With US on Korean War Dead
North Korea failed to show up Thursday for talks with U.S. officials on returning the remains of American war dead from the Korean War in the early 1950s, a new sign of tension between the two countries. American officials had expected North Korean negotiators to appear for discussions at the Korean Peninsula's demilitarized zone after Secretary of State Mike Pompeo thought he had reached an agreement for a meeting when he held discussions last week in Pyongyang about North Korea's pledge to end its nuclear weapons program. But U.S. Defense Department and United Nations Command officials were left waiting in the DMZ's Joint Security Area, with no immediate explanation for the North Korean absence, according to South Korean's Yonhap news agency and U.S. officials who spoke to CNN and The Washington Post. "We were ready," one official said. "It just didn't happen. They didn't show." South Korea's Foreign Ministry said... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline article, North Korea a No-Show for Talks With US on Korean War Dead, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give 'Phuket Hotel Deals' a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you visit 'VOA NEWS'. Thank you
Popular Asia News Articles
- - Apirat urged to remain neutral
- - Khao Yai blazes brave new trail
- - Report: US Wants Pledge for Stable Chinese Yuan as Talks Resume
- - Fashion mastermind Lagerfeld dies
- - Memorial Speaks to North Korea's Ties to Summit Host Vietnam
- - Factbox: Pakistan, India troop strength and weapons
- - If Korean war ends after Trump-Kim summit in Hanoi, will Seoul still require national service?
- - Weather for February 20
- - Trump: 'No Rush' to See North Korea Denuclearize
- - Trump Says No 'Magical Date' for Imposing More Tariffs on China
- In the last 5 hours
- Vote! Hanoi Summit May Advance North Korea’s Objectives, Experts Say VOA NEWS (Today) - With the second summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong...
- Vote! Children in North Korean-built kindergarten practise Korean songs for Kim Jong-un ahead of Trump-Kim summit 2019 in Hanoi SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (Today) - Wearing traditional dress, the children in Hanoi’s only North Korean-founded kindergarten belt out Korean songs...
- Vote! Seoul pledges to keep pace with US pressure on North Korea ahead of Trump-Kim summit 2019 SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (Today) - South Korea has downplayed American concerns that it is moving too quickly on rapprochement with...