North Korea’s Kim oversees test of new weapon with ‘powerful warhead’
NORTH KOREA’s Kim Jong Un has supervised the test-firing of a new tactical weapon with a “powerful warhead”, state media reported Thursday, in the first test of its kind since nuclear negotiations with Washington stalled. The test marks a ratcheting up of tensions weeks after a summit between Kim and US President Donald Trump collapsed without agreement. It also comes after satellite imagery suggested heightened activity at a nuclear test site. SEE ALSO: Trump-Kim’s Hanoi Summit was a disappointment, but all is not lost Wednesday’s test was “conducted in various modes of firing at different targets” the KCNA news outlet reported, adding that Kim “guided the test-fire”. The report said Kim described its development as one “of very weighty significance in increasing the combat power of the People’s Army”. The “advantages” of the weapon were “the peculiar mode of guiding flight and the load of a powerful warhead”, KCNA said. The report gave no details of the weapon. Missiles fired by the North have previously been tracked by the US and South Korean militaries, both of which closely watch events in the isolated nation. Neither made any immediate announcement in the wake of the report. “The description makes whatever was tested sound like a missile, but that could be everything from a small anti-tank guided missile to a surface-to-air missile to a rocket artillery system,” said North Korea analyst Ankit Panda. Earlier in the week, the Center for Strategic and International Studies, a US monitor, said activity had been detected at Yongbyon, the North’s main nuclear testing facility. The think tank said evidence suggested Pyongyang may be reprocessing radioactive material into bomb fuel. SEE ALSO: What the next Trump-Kim Summit could end up costing Vietnam Kim’s Hanoi summit with Trump, the second between the two men, ended abruptly, with North Korea... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, North Korea’s Kim oversees test of new weapon with ‘powerful warhead’, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: ASIAN CORRESPONDENT - Wednesday, 17 April
- In the last 12 hours
- Vote! North Korea tests ‘super-large multiple rocket launcher’, Trump ‘not happy’ about it SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (Today) - North Korean leader Kim Jong-un oversaw the test of a “super-large multiple rocket launcher” on Saturday, state news agency KCNA reported.US President Donald Trump on Sunday said he was “not...
- Vote! N. Korea's Kim oversaw test of 'multiple rocket launcher': KCNA Bangkok Post (Today) - SEOUL: North Korean leader Kim Jong Un again supervised the test-firing of a "newly developed" weapon, state media reported Sunday -- further muddying the waters for any resumption of denuclearisation...
- In the last 24 hours
- Vote! North Korean leader Kim Jong-un oversees test of ‘super-large multiple rocket launcher’, state media claims SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (Yesterday) - North Korean leader Kim Jong-un oversaw the test of a “super-large multiple rocket launcher” on Saturday, state news agency KCNA reported on Sunday.North Korea fired what appeared to be two...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Impact of Political Satire Is No Joke
- - Computing and ICT students go from strength to strength at BISP
- - 1 policeman dies, 2 hurt in crash chasing suspect
- - Powerful, Obscure Law Is Basis for Trump 'Order' On Trade
- - Brazilian Troops Begin Deploying to Fight Amazon Fires
- - Majority support general debate over Prayut's oath-taking: Poll
- - Trump at Odds with G-7 Leaders on Trade, Iran, N. Korea, Russia
- - Iran's Envoy Makes Surprise Visit at Site of G-7 Summit
- - Former Illinois Congressman Challenges Trump for Republican Presidential Nomination
- - Placido Domingo to Perform for First Time Since Accusations