North Korea’s Kim oversees test of new weapon with ‘powerful warhead’
NORTH KOREA’s Kim Jong Un has supervised the test-firing of a new tactical weapon with a “powerful warhead”, state media reported Thursday, in the first test of its kind since nuclear negotiations with Washington stalled. The test marks a ratcheting up of tensions weeks after a summit between Kim and US President Donald Trump collapsed without agreement. It also comes after satellite imagery suggested heightened activity at a nuclear test site. SEE ALSO: Trump-Kim’s Hanoi Summit was a disappointment, but all is not lost Wednesday’s test was “conducted in various modes of firing at different targets” the KCNA news outlet reported, adding that Kim “guided the test-fire”. The report said Kim described its development as one “of very weighty significance in increasing the combat power of the People’s Army”. The “advantages” of the weapon were “the peculiar mode of guiding flight and the load of a powerful warhead”, KCNA said. The report gave no details of the weapon. Missiles fired by the North have previously been tracked by the US and South Korean militaries, both of which closely watch events in the isolated nation. Neither made any immediate announcement in the wake of the report. “The description makes whatever was tested sound like a missile, but that could be everything from a small anti-tank guided missile to a surface-to-air missile to a rocket artillery system,” said North Korea analyst Ankit Panda. Earlier in the week, the Center for Strategic and International Studies, a US monitor, said activity had been detected at Yongbyon, the North’s main nuclear testing facility. The think tank said evidence suggested Pyongyang may be reprocessing radioactive material into bomb fuel. SEE ALSO: What the next Trump-Kim Summit could end up costing Vietnam Kim’s Hanoi summit with Trump, the second between the two men, ended abruptly, with North Korea... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, North Korea’s Kim oversees test of new weapon with ‘powerful warhead’, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: ASIAN CORRESPONDENT - Wednesday, 17 April
- New In Last Half Hour
- Vote! Donald Trump seems to undermine John Bolton on North Korean missile launches with rogue tweet SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (Today) - Seemingly contradicting his national security adviser, President Donald Trump on Sunday played down North Korea’s recent missile tests and said they were not a concern for him.The comments tweeted during...
- Older News
- Vote! North Korea’s latest ballistic missile launches violated UN resolution, top US security aide John Bolton says SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (2 days ago) - US national security adviser John Bolton on Saturday said North Korea’s recent missile launches violated a UN Security Council resolution and urged leader Kim Jong-un to return to denuclearisation talks.It...
- Vote! North Korea Blames US for Failed Talks in Vietnam VOA NEWS (2 days ago) - North Korea is blaming the United States for deadlocked nuclear negotiations, vowing they will "never be resumed" unless Washington abandons demands for disarmament. U.S. President Donald Trump's second summit with...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Pakistan PM Khan speaks with Modi to congratulate him on election victory
- - Strong earthquake strikes northern Peru
- - Prem's birthplace in Songkhla draws mourners
- - Donald Trump seems to undermine John Bolton on North Korean missile launches with rogue tweet
- - Thousands March in Hong Kong to Mark June 4 Protests
- - Four killed, seven injured in three explosions in Nepali capital - police
- - China International Big Data Industry Expo 2019 Opens
- - Over 600 people test HIV positive in Pakistan city
- - Future Forward Party wins new Chiang Mai election
- - DMS: Marijuana can only treat four diseases