New Sudan Sovereign Council Woman Vows to Uphold Rights of All
One of two women appointed to Sudan's newly created Sovereign Council on Wednesday said she will uphold the rights of all Sudanese people.Raja Nichola Abdulmessih, the only Christian on the 11-member council, said all Sudanese deserve to have their constitutional rights protected."Our rights are stipulated and enshrined in the constitution. We just need to practice and demand these rights as any Sudanese citizen, regardless of our religion, our affiliation, our race or color. We are just Sudanese citizens and Christian," she told South Sudan in Focus.Raja Nichola Abdulmessih, a civilian member of Sudan's new sovereign council, attends a press conference after being sworn-in, in the capital Khartoum, Aug. 21, 2019.Abdulmessih said the Sovereign Council's first priority should be silencing the guns across the country. "We shall try to rebuild our economy, we shall begin to stop all the armed movements and work for peace and justice for all Sudanese," Abdulmessih told VOA.She urged revolutionaries across Sudan to be patient as the new, transitional government is formed."What happened in 30 years cannot be rebuilt in three years. But we shall try our best to do whatever we can. We shall be holding a lot of meetings with our head of the council and we hope things shall work out," Abdulmessih told VOA.Sudan's new Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok also was sworn in Wednesday.Hamdok vowed that achieving peace and solving the country's economic crisis would be his top priorities.... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, New Sudan Sovereign Council Woman Vows to Uphold Rights of All, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Thursday, 22 August
- Older News
- Vote! Panel: Full-Scale War Looms in South Sudan One Year After Peace Accord Signed VOA NEWS (3 days ago) - A panel of U.N. experts warns the failure of South Sudan's warring factions to implement last year's peace accord risks plunging the country into full-scale war once again.The report by...
- Vote! France's Foreign Minister Pledges Support for 'New Sudan' VOA NEWS (3 days ago) - France’s foreign minister announced 60 million euros in aid for Sudan’s transitional authorities during a visit to Khartoum on Monday, while offering to help Sudan rebuild relations with international lenders...
- Vote! Sudan, South Sudan Leaders Agree to Reopen Borders VOA NEWS (6 days ago) - The leaders of South Sudan and Sudan have agreed to reopen border areas between their countries in a bid to boost trade and the free movement of people.The agreement between...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Wichit Municipality opens flood-relief donations center
- - Concerns raised again over Phuket wild monkey populations
- - Ex-Japanese Energy Company Executives Acquitted in Fukushima Disaster
- - Water outage to hit Kathu, Koh Kaew
- - PM Prayut donates 100,000 baht to help flood victims
- - Bermuda Battens Down for Category 3 Hurricane Humberto
- - Polarized Politics Deepens Divide Over Who Is a 'Real' American
- - France’s Macron Toughens Immigration Stance Amid Fears of More Asylum Seekers
- - LA 'Tent Cities' Becoming Shantytowns, Expert Says
- - Trump 'Substantially' Increases Iran Sanctions, Blaming Tehran for Saudi Oil Field Attacks