N. Korea Envoy in US for Talks with Pompeo, Possibly Trump
A North Korean envoy arrived in Washington on Thursday for expected talks with Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and a possible encounter with President Donald Trump aimed a laying the groundwork for a second U.S.-North Korea summit. The envoy arrived on the same day Trump unveiled a revamped U.S. missile defense strategy that singled out North Korea as an ongoing and "extraordinary threat," seven months after he declared after his first summit with leader Kim Jong Un that the North Korean threat had been eliminated. Kim Yong Chol, Pyongyang's lead negotiator in denuclearization talks with the United States, was due to meet Pompeo and could also go to the White House on Friday, a person familiar with the plan said, a sign of potential movement in a diplomatic effort that has appeared stalled for months. The North Korean visit could yield an announcement of plans for another summit between Trump and Kim Jong Un, the source said, speaking on condition of anonymity. There has been no indication, however, of any narrowing of differences over U.S. demands that North Korea abandon a nuclear weapons program that threatens the United States or Pyongyang's demand for a lifting of punishing sanctions. Kim Yong Chol, a hardline former spy chief, arrived in Washington on a commercial flight from Beijing, South Korea's Yonhap news agency reported. Pompeo had planned to meet his North Korean counterpart to discuss a second summit last November, but the meeting was postponed at the last moment. Diplomatic contact was resumed after Kim Jong Un delivered a New Year speech in which he said he was willing to meet Trump "at any time," South Korea's ambassador to the United States, Cho Yoon-je, told reporters last week. Kim Yong Chol was last in Washington in June, when he delivered a letter from... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, N. Korea Envoy in US for Talks with Pompeo, Possibly Trump, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Thursday, 17 January
- Older News
- Vote! Replacement of North Korea’s top envoy for nuclear talks with US a ‘positive signal’, analysts say SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (Yesterday) - North Korea’s leader Kim Jong-un has fired his top envoy for nuclear talks with the United States, blaming him for the collapse of the second Trump-Kim summit in Hanoi, a...
- Vote! Pompeo expects North Korea diplomacy to be ‘bumpy’ ASIAN CORRESPONDENT (Yesterday) - US SECRETARY of State Mike Pompeo said Wednesday he expected “bumpy” talks ahead with North Korea but that he still hoped to reach a potentially landmark denuclearisation deal. US President...
- Vote! North Korea’s Kim Jong-un arrives in Russia for talks with Vladimir Putin SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (2 days ago) - North Korean leader Kim Jong-un crossed into Russia on a private train, after leaving Pyongyang earlier Wednesday for his first talks with President Vladimir Putin.It will be the first time...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Thailand resisting falling into rail debt trap
- - 49 bedroom Patong beach Hotel for sale
- - Free emergency water to be delivered to Kamala residents
- - Major storm at Don Mueang, flights disrupted
- - PM calls for more domestic spending as ministry readies stimulus measures
- - Weed-laced Thai sweets heading to 30 US states
- - More dry years ahead for South-East Asia - New UN-ASEAN study reveals slow but devastating impacts of drought in the region
- - 3.6 million coronation souvenir coins ordered
- - Boat sinks with dozens of schoolchildren on-board at Koh Tao pier
- - Update on The Man Who Sleeps With Rats