Myanmar’s meth trade is booming after anti-drugs vigilante groups were silenced by dealers, leading to a wave of addiction
Mobs of stick-wielding church-goers in Myanmar’s northeast used to descend on dealers and addicts in a desperate effort to save their communities from a meth-induced health crisis sweeping the country. But anonymous death threats brought the vigilante operations to a halt.“It simply became too dangerous for us,” says Zau Man, leader of the local Baptist church in Kutkai, a town in Shan State scarred by addiction.Myanmar is the second-biggest producer of opium in the world after Afghanistan and…... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Myanmar’s meth trade is booming after anti-drugs vigilante groups were silenced by dealers, leading to a wave of addiction, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST - Tuesday, 19 February
- Older News
- Vote! Restaurant staffer caught in meth sting The Phuket News (2 days ago) - PHUKET: Two men, including a restaurant staffer in Karon have been arrested for peddling methamphetamine (ya bah) pills and crystal meth (ya ice)....
- Vote! Facebook and other social media a boon for drug dealers, study finds Bangkok Post (6 days ago) - Online social networks are now popular channels for the sale of illicit drugs, a forum heard last week....
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Afghan wedding suicide blast kills 63, wounds 182: ministry
- - A Chinese Toy Story: why do adult men buy designer toys?
- - 11 killed, 4 injured in lorry-van clash in Sa Kaew
- - Phuket Opinion: The Expendables
- - Toll from suicide blast at Afghan wedding 63 dead and 182 hurt: ministry
- - The Asia Foundation Launches Education Project in the Philippines
- - Blast at wedding in Afghan capital wounds at least 20 - hospital
- - What Trump really gains by calling China a currency manipulator
- - Majority support anti-fake news centre plan: Nida Poll
- - Suicide Bomb Rips Through Wedding Party in Kabul