Mounting calls for Burma to release jailed Reuters journalists
PRESSURE is mounting on the government of Burma (Myanmar) to release two local journalists accused of violating national security laws. Wa Lone and Kyaw Soe Oo – who had reported extensively on the Rohingya crisis for Reuters – were first detained by police in December last year after being invited for dinner. They have been charged under the colonial-era Official Secrets Act and could face 14 years in prison. The incident has sparked fears of a crackdown on press freedom amid what the United Nations has called “ethnic cleansing” against Rohingya Muslims in the country’s Rakhine State. The United States, Canada and several European countries have called for their release. Last week, they were denied bail and sent back to Yangon’s notorious Insein prison. The two journalists will be back in court on Tuesday for the next in a series of hearings to determine whether they should face charges under... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline article, Mounting calls for Burma to release jailed Reuters journalists, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give 'Phuket Hotel Deals' a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you visit 'ASIAN CORRESPONDENT'. Thank you
Popular Asia News Articles
- - Malaysia Upholds Ban on Israeli Athletes from Taking Part in Swimming Competition
- - Thai hotel staff head home after surviving Nairobi terrorism
- - Peace talks with Taliban will happen soon: U.S. envoy
- - China to face Thailand Sunday at Asian Cup
- - Goldman boss apologises for 1MDB scandal
- - Kisenosato, Japan's last remaining sumo champion, retires
- - Phuket maid caught hiding 2,600 meth pills, 3kg of cannabis in client’s house
- - Swedish tourist rescued at Patong Beach
- - Air quality for Thailand – January 17
- - ‘Haute Cuisine:’ Weed Tom Yum Lands Briton In Hot Water
- Older News
- Vote! Reuters' Myanmar Journalists Lose Appeal VOA NEWS (6 days ago) - Two Reuters journalists in Myanmar lost their appeal Friday against their conviction and seven-year jail...
- Vote! Myanmar Reuters journalists lose appeal against 7-year sentence Bangkok Post (6 days ago) - YANGON: Two Reuters journalists jailed for seven years while investigating atrocities committed against the Rohingya...
- Vote! Myanmar rejects Reuters journalists' appeals BBC News Asia (6 days ago) - Reuters reporters Wa Lone and Kyaw Soe Oo were convicted for breaking a state secrets...