Mattis: US-North Korea Talks Will Not Shake Ties With Japan
U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said the possible talks between the United States and North Korea would not change the strong relationship the United States has with Japan. Mattis met Friday with his Japanese counterpart, Itsunori Onodera, at the Pentagon, saying, "This is a mutually beneficial alliance between two democratic nations that trust each other. Nothing is going to shake that." WATCH: Mattis on Strength of US-Japan Relationship Onodera said the "ironclad US-Japan alliance" must work with the international community to make North Korea abandon all weapons of mass destruction "in a complete, verifiable and irreversible manner." The United States and South Korea are planning separate summits with North Korea over banning nuclear weapons from the Korean Peninsula. No date has yet been set for the talks involving the United States, while the two Koreas plan to meet April 27. WATCH: Onodera: Pressure on North Korea Must Be Maintained On Friday, the... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline article, Mattis: US-North Korea Talks Will Not Shake Ties With Japan, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give 'Phuket Hotel Deals' a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you visit 'VOA NEWS'. Thank you
Popular Asia News Articles
- - Swiss actor Bruno Ganz, who played Hitler, dies at 77
- - Bollywood's first major LGBTQ film
- - Planting the seeds of mindfulness and beauty
- - Reading elections in the stars
- - China Rebuffs Germany's Call for US Missile Deal With Russia
- - Phuket Immigration clarifies new rules on retirement visas to start March 1
- - Thai woman murdered in Phuket – police search for Greek husband
- - Hotel man faces years in jail for shooting stray dog that bit tourists
- - Tham Luang cave to be closed from Feb 19
- - Hua Hin: Thai woman trampled to death by elephants on her way to do the washing
- In the last 24 hours
- Vote! A peace treaty with Japan? No rush, says Russia as US ties complicate Kuril Islands dispute SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (Yesterday) - Russia has no time-frame for agreeing a post-war peace treaty with Japan, Russian Foreign Minister...
- Older News
- Vote! North Korea has secret base with intermediate-range missiles capable of hitting Japan’s Okinawa: US study SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (Yesterday) - North Korea has a clandestine base that houses intermediate-range missiles capable of hitting Japan’s Okinawa...
- Vote! Explained: the legacy of war in Asia SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (Yesterday) - The second world war left deep scars on Asia – they are still visible in...