Malaysia Upholds Ban on Israeli Athletes from Taking Part in Swimming Competition
Malaysia says it will maintain a decision to ban Israeli athletes from entering the country to take part in an upcoming competition. The majority-Muslim country does not have formal diplomatic ties with Israel, and bars anyone holding an Israeli passport from entering. Kuala Lumpur is a strong supporter of the Palestinian cause and an advocate of a two-state solution. Foreign Minister Saifuddin Abdullah said Wednesday that the government will stand by a decision made by the cabinet last week to bar Israeli athletes from taking part in the World Para Swimming Championships to be held in late July in the eastern state of Sarawak, which will serve as a qualifying event for the 2020 Tokyo Paraolympics. The International Paraolympic Committee has said it is "disappointed" in Malaysia's decision, but hopes to find a solution to the issue. In addition to maintaining the ban, Abdullah said Malaysia will no longer host any events in the future involving Israel or its representatives. He said the decision reflects the government's strong support for the Palestinians, which he said was a human rights issue. Thousands of Malaysians marched in protest when U.S. President Donald Trump formally recognized Jerusalem as Israel's capital in December 2017.... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Malaysia Upholds Ban on Israeli Athletes from Taking Part in Swimming Competition, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Wednesday, 16 January, 2019
- Older News
- Vote! Israeli, US Militaries Simulate Ship Hijacking Amid Tensions VOA NEWS (2 days ago) - Israel's military says it has conducted a joint exercise with U.S. Special Forces simulating the retaking of a hijacked ship.The drill, held last Wednesday, comes amid heightened tensions between the...
- Vote! 3 Palestinians Killed By Israeli Forces At Gaza Border VOA NEWS (4 days ago) - Three Palestinian men were killed by Israeli forces, the Palestinian health ministry said Sunday, adding that another Palestinian man was wounded in the shooting. An Israeli military statement said a military...
- Vote! Military: 3 Rockets Fired From Gaza Toward Israel VOA NEWS (5 days ago) - JERUSALEM - The Israeli military said Saturday that three rockets had been fired from the Hamas-controlled Gaza Strip into southern Israel. Israeli aerial defense batteries intercepted two of the...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - 3 bedroom Modern townhouses for sale Rawai
- - Hong Kong's Quietly Confrontational Protest
- - Facebook user thanks cat for unearthing husband’s hidden treasure
- - Tourism minister orders study of Pattaya as model for 4am closing time
- - New traffic law: Just taking a picture of your licence and showing on your phone is not enough
- - Noodle vendor claims they urinated in the broth “to cure muscle aches”
- - Don Mueang Airport: 20 more immigration counters to open this week
- - Are DRC, Mozambique Insurgencies a Real IS Threat? Or an Attention Grab?
- - DRC, Mozambique Insurgencies Need Local Responses, Experts Say
- - Pompeo Praises Denmark After Trump Cancels State Visit