Magnitude 6.6 Earthquake Hits Northern Japan Near Major City
The U.S. Geological Survey says a magnitude 6.6 earthquake has hit northern Japan near a major city. The agency says earthquake struck the island of Hokkaido about 3 a.m. Thursday and had a depth of 33.4 kilometers (21 miles). The quake's epicenter is about 27.3 kilometers (17 miles) east of the city of Tomakomai, which has a population of about 175,000, and 64.8 kilometers (40.3 miles) southeast of Sapporo, which is a major metropolitan area of 1.9 million people. The Kyodo news service reports that in Tokyo, the central government set up a liaison unit at the crisis management center of the prime minister’s office to gather information on the temblor. Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga says Prime Minister Shinzo Abe instructed officials to ascertain the extent of damage and extend a helping hand to those affected. The quake triggered a blackout across a wide area in Hokkaido. It also affected telephone service and television broadcasting in Sapporo. ... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Magnitude 6.6 Earthquake Hits Northern Japan Near Major City, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Wednesday, 5 September, 2018
- Older News
- Vote! Strong quake hits east Taiwan, rattles buildings in capital Bangkok Post (2 days ago) - TAIPEI: A strong 6.1 magnitude earthquake struck Taiwan's east coast Thursday afternoon, according to the island's Central Weather Bureau. TV footage showed at least one landslide but there were no...
- Vote! Quake of magnitude 6.1 hits Taiwan coastal city, says weather bureau CNBC - ASIA (2 days ago) - An earthquake of magnitude 6.1 struck Taiwan's coastal city of Hualien on Thursday, the weather bureau said, but there were no immediate reports of damage or casualties....
- Vote! Quake Strikes Taiwan, Shaking Buildings, Halting Subway VOA NEWS (2 days ago) - An earthquake of magnitude 6.1 struck Taiwan’s coastal city of Hualien Thursday, shaking buildings and temporarily suspending subway services in the capital Taipei, but there were no immediate reports of...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Afghan communications ministry attacked, seven killed
- - Pakistan asks Iran to act on militants behind Baluchistan killings
- - The Thai children putting a brave face on the horror of sexual abuse
- - Afghan communications ministry attacked, at least two gunmen killed
- - City edge Spurs to go top
- - Taxman: B20,000 interest exemption still in place
- - Gunmen attack Afghan communications ministry in Kabul
- - Man held for duping farmers into growing date palm
- - India's Supreme Court chief justice denies sexually harassing assistant
- - Highest Myanmar court to rule on journalists on Tuesday