Magnitude 6.6 Earthquake Hits Northern Japan Near Major City
The U.S. Geological Survey says a magnitude 6.6 earthquake has hit northern Japan near a major city. The agency says earthquake struck the island of Hokkaido about 3 a.m. Thursday and had a depth of 33.4 kilometers (21 miles). The quake's epicenter is about 27.3 kilometers (17 miles) east of the city of Tomakomai, which has a population of about 175,000, and 64.8 kilometers (40.3 miles) southeast of Sapporo, which is a major metropolitan area of 1.9 million people. The Kyodo news service reports that in Tokyo, the central government set up a liaison unit at the crisis management center of the prime minister’s office to gather information on the temblor. Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga says Prime Minister Shinzo Abe instructed officials to ascertain the extent of damage and extend a helping hand to those affected. The quake triggered a blackout across a wide area in Hokkaido. It also... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline article, Magnitude 6.6 Earthquake Hits Northern Japan Near Major City, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give 'Phuket Hotel Deals' a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you visit 'VOA NEWS'. Thank you
Popular Asia News Articles
- - Thailand 'ready to meet the Dragons'
- - Thai Buddhist monks killed in temple shooting
- - Five elephants saved from muddy pond
- - China: 'No need' to practice penalties for Thailand match
- - Trump: US 'Made a Lot of Progress' With N. Korea
- - Hakeem al-Araibi: calls grow for inquiry into police role in refugee footballer's arrest
- - Eye on Vietnam, The New Electronics Manufacturing Hub
- - Trump Says a Deal 'Could Very Well Happen' With China
- - ‘Don’t cry’: Serena Consoles Australian Open Foe; Halep Next
- - Activist wants Palang Pracharath donations probed
- In the last 12 hours
- Vote! near the coast of central Chile National Tsunami Warning Center (Yesterday) - Category: InformationBulletin Issue Time: 2019.01.20 01:41:01 UTC Preliminary Magnitude: 6.8(Mwp)Lat/Lon: -30.100 / -71.600Affected Region: near...
- Older News
- Vote! near the Vanuatu Islands National Tsunami Warning Center (5 days ago) - Category: InformationBulletin Issue Time: 2019.01.15 18:16:34 UTC Preliminary Magnitude: 6.8(Mwp)Lat/Lon: -13.396 / 166.619Affected Region: near...