Kim Jong Un Leaves Beijing after Brief Visit
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un is headed back home after a two-day visit to China and talks with President Xi Jinping. Kim's special train departed Beijing Wednesday afternoon and headed towards the northeast border, where it will enter North Korea early Thursday morning. The visit was Kim Jong Un's fourth to North Korea's primary diplomatic and economic ally since last year, and raises speculation that Kim was coordinating with China ahead of a possible second summit with U.S. President Donald Trump. South Korea's Yonhap news agency says Kim spent his final day in Beijing visiting a pharmaceutical factory in an economic zone outside of Beijing, then had lunch with President Xi before departing. Kim and Xi held talks Tuesday -- believed to be Kim's birthday -- shortly after the North Korean leader arrived in Beijing. He later attended a dinner with Xi and his wife at the Great Hall of the People. Kim was accompanied by his wife Ri Sol Ju. Neither side has provided details on the talks, nor of Kim's schedule during his visit. Kim and President Trump signed a vague agreement during their historic summit in Singapore last June that calls on Pyongyang to abandon its nuclear program. But further negotiations have stalled over the North’s demand for front-loaded sanctions relief tied to small progress, and its opposition to the Trump administration’s call for complete denuclearization prior to granting any concessions. During his annual New Year’s Day address last week, Kim said it was his “firm will” that North Korea will no longer produce or test nuclear weapons. He also said he would be willing to hold another face-to-face meeting with Trump, but warned his country may have to take another path unless Washington takes "corresponding measures." North Korea is also demanding that the United States... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Kim Jong Un Leaves Beijing after Brief Visit, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Wednesday, 9 January
- In the last 5 hours
- Vote! The Trump summit in Hanoi broke down, but Xi’s Pyongyang visit is set to give Kim political capital – and tonnes of food SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (Today) - North Korean leader Kim Jong-un may have returned empty-handed from the much-touted second summit with United States President Donald Trump, but analysts say the visit of China’s President Xi Jinping...
- Older News
- Vote! Chinese President Xi Jinping to make first official trip to North Korea this week SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (Yesterday) - Xi Jinping will make his first official visit to North Korea this week, the first by a Chinese president in more than a decade, state-run news agency Xinhua reported on...
- Vote! Donald Trump says he received ‘beautiful letter’ from North Korea’s Kim Jong-un SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (7 days ago) - US President Donald Trump on Tuesday said he had received a very warm letter from North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, calling the correspondence “beautiful”.Speaking to reporters at the White House,...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - China-Philippines ‘hit and run’: Duterte’s downplaying of the incident is sign of his Beijing dilemma
- - Philippine fishing boat’s sinking in South China Sea was ‘just a collision’, Duterte says
- - Strong earthquake hits southern China; injuries reported
- - Far-right motive seen in German pro-migrant official's murder
- - Book nerd PM: Prayut’s new image?
- - Mains water supply outage in Kamala
- - 'Systemic failure' of U.N. ahead of Myanmar military crackdown: review
- - Pit bull savages child in Chiang Mai – owner pays 3,000 baht and no more
- - Bus conductor fired, firm fined for molesting ladyboy on board
- - Chinese tourist in Bangkok caught defecating in street next to shocked diners