Kim Jong Un in Russia for Putin Meeting
North Korean leader Kim Jong-un has arrived in the far eastern region of Russia for his first ever meeting with Vladimir Putin, which Kim says is the initial step toward closer ties with Moscow. Wearing a black fedora hat and matching dark overcoat, the smiling Kim was greeted by Russian officials and a military band Wednesday in the port city of Vladivostok. The North Korean leader made the short trip to Vladivostok via his signature armored green and yellow train. During an earlier stop in the border city of Khasan, Kim said this “will not be the last” trip to Russia, adding it is the first step toward improved Russia-North Korea relations, according to a readout issued by local Russian authorities. At the Thursday summit, Kim is expected to push Putin for economic aid — specifically relief from international sanctions that remain in place after nuclear talks with the United States broke down. Kim no longer a pariah? It is the latest high-profile summit for Kim, who until last year hadn’t left North Korea since taking power in 2011. Over the past year Kim has met twice with U.S. President Donald Trump, three times with South Korean President Moon Jae-in, four times with Chinese President Xi Jinping, and once with Vietnamese President Nguyen Phu Trong. "What this has mainly done is give Kim some international credibility. I mean, he was a pariah a year ago. And now he's everybody's prom date, everyone wants to be seen with him on their arm," said Ralph Cossa of the Pacific Forum. Although the meetings have raised Kim’s global stature, they have failed to reduce the sanctions pressure hurting his economy. After a February Trump-Kim summit in Hanoi ended in no deal, the United States has insisted it will not relax sanctions until North Korea... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Kim Jong Un in Russia for Putin Meeting, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Wednesday, 24 April
- Older News
- Vote! Kim Jong-un expresses ‘great satisfaction’ over North Korean weapons tests SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (2 days ago) - North Korea on Saturday said its leader Kim Jong-un had supervised another test-firing of an unspecified new weapon that extended a streak of weapons demonstrations seen as an attempt to...
- Vote! Kremlin Downplays Russia Protests VOA NEWS (5 days ago) - The Kremlin on Tuesday downplayed recent protests in Russia and rejected the suggestion they have created a political crisis in the country.Spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters that President Vladimir Putin...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Suicide Bomb Rips Through Wedding Party in Kabul
- - UN Bans Sending Baby Elephants from Wild to Zoos and Circuses
- - Australia’s free speech failure
- - VinFast: will Vietnam’s new locally made car take off?
- - Asia stocks rise as Treasury yields bounce higher
- - Paul prepares to take out Starbucks via coffee lovers
- - US Talks Secretly to Venezuela Socialist Boss
- - Asia stocks set to trade mixed as Treasury yields bounce higher
- - Finance Ministry plans rejig of fuel excise tax
- - The 'steel lady' of the forest