'Just a Little Wobble': Thousands Feel 6.1-Magnitude Quake in New Zealand
An earthquake of magnitude 6.1 struck New Zealand's north island on Tuesday, the United States Geological Survey said, a tremor felt by thousands of people although there were no immediate reports of damage or casualties. Parliament was briefly suspended in Wellington and some flights aborted landings there, the New Zealand Herald newspaper said, following the quake, which hit 63 km (39 miles) east of the city of New Plymouth, at a depth of 228 km (142 miles). "It was just a little wobble, it's not much," said Ken Wheeler, manager of a hardware store at Taumarunui, 31 km (19 miles) northeast of the epicenter. "We've got quite a gift section here, with crystal glasses, and it did nothing." The quake had initially been assessed at a magnitude of 6.2. New Zealand's GeoNet quake monitor said about 15,600 people felt the shaking, which most described as moderate or light. No damage had been reported, a civil defense spokeswoman said. In Auckland, where Britain's Prince Harry and his wife Meghan are visiting, a Reuters witness said there was no shaking.... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, 'Just a Little Wobble': Thousands Feel 6.1-Magnitude Quake in New Zealand, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Tuesday, 30 October
- Older News
- Vote! Quake-Triggered Landslide Kills 2 on Indonesia's Lombok VOA NEWS (6 days ago) - Officials say a moderately strong earthquake has triggered a landslide that hit a popular waterfall on Indonesia's Lombok island, killing at least two people and injuring dozens. The U.S....
- Vote! Malaysian tourists rescued after landslides on Indonesia’s Lombok island SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (6 days ago) - A moderately strong earthquake triggered a landslide that hit a popular waterfall on the Indonesian tourist island of Lombok on Sunday, killing at least two people and injuring dozens, officials...
- Vote! 2 killed in M5.5 quake on Indonesia's Lombok Island Bangkok Post (6 days ago) - JAKARTA: At least two people were killed and another hospitalized after a magnitude 5.5 earthquake hit Indonesia's resort island of Lombok on Sunday afternoon, authorities said....
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Ex-Chinese Construction Exec Found Guilty in US of Forced Labor Charges
- - Hong Kong, like other cities, is running out of room for the dead
- - ‘David vs. Goliath’ in South China Sea: Beijing must take us seriously, say ex-Philippine officials seeking ICC probe into Xi Jinping
- - China to give US$989 million loan to Sri Lanka for major new motorway project
- - Trump Reverses Some Sanctions on N. Korea
- - ABS-CBN Documentaries to screen in Hong Kong
- - Pelican BioThermal Announces Asia Award for Excellence
- - Big Joke: Now Lt-Gen brings tears of joy to the bereaved as he smashes funeral scam
- - Japanese family offer 50,000 baht reward for information about missing father in Chiang Mai
- - Police discuss harsher driving offence penalties