'Just a Little Wobble': Thousands Feel 6.1-Magnitude Quake in New Zealand
An earthquake of magnitude 6.1 struck New Zealand's north island on Tuesday, the United States Geological Survey said, a tremor felt by thousands of people although there were no immediate reports of damage or casualties. Parliament was briefly suspended in Wellington and some flights aborted landings there, the New Zealand Herald newspaper said, following the quake, which hit 63 km (39 miles) east of the city of New Plymouth, at a depth of 228 km (142 miles). "It was just a little wobble, it's not much," said Ken Wheeler, manager of a hardware store at Taumarunui, 31 km (19 miles) northeast of the epicenter. "We've got quite a gift section here, with crystal glasses, and it did nothing." The quake had initially been assessed at a magnitude of 6.2. New Zealand's GeoNet quake monitor said about 15,600 people felt the shaking, which most described as moderate or light. No damage... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline article, 'Just a Little Wobble': Thousands Feel 6.1-Magnitude Quake in New Zealand, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give 'Phuket Hotel Deals' a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you visit 'VOA NEWS'. Thank you
Popular Asia News Articles
- - Above the concrete canopy: Hong Kong from the sky
- - Osaka sets up Svitolina last-eight test, Serena faces showdown
- - Thailand Tourism Highlights for 2018
- - These are the biggest global risks of 2019
- - Asia stocks gain ahead of Chinese GDP numbers
- - Could Thailand become the next big higher-education powerhouse?
- - 'Baby formula ring' leads to six arrests in Australia
- - China economy: Fourth quarter growth slips to 6.4%
- - China's economy grew at slowest pace in 28 years in 2018
- - Vampire bat breakthrough shows bloodsuckers could save lives
- Older News
- Vote! Two dead from heart attacks as strong quake jolts Chile Bangkok Post (Yesterday) - SANTIAG: A strong 6.7-magnitude earthquake hit north-central Chile on Saturday, the US Geological Survey said,...