Japan wants to adopt daylight savings for Tokyo 2020 but at what cost?
THE deadly heatwave in Japan has prompted its government to mull implementing daylight savings time (DST) for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics as a way to help athletes and spectators better cope with the scorching weather. On Tuesday, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said his party will consider the time adjustment proposed by former prime minister Yoshiro Mori before it is brought to Cabinet for the final decision-making. “I heard that the idea of introducing ‘summertime’ is popular with the public,” Abe reportedly told Mori, as quoted by Nikkei Asian Review. SEE ALSO: Rival skaters from Japan and South Korea embrace spirit of ‘Peace Olympics’ In Japan, “summertime” is similar to daylight savings practised in other parts of the world, particularly the US, which moves the clock forward to optimise the hours of daylight. The proposal for Japan is to move the country’s official clock forward by two hours between June and August in... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline article, Japan wants to adopt daylight savings for Tokyo 2020 but at what cost?, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give 'Phuket Hotel Deals' a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you visit 'ASIAN CORRESPONDENT'. Thank you
Popular Asia News Articles
- - Phuket Immigration clarifies new rules on retirement visas to start March 1
- - Thai woman murdered in Phuket – police search for Greek husband
- - Hotel man faces years in jail for shooting stray dog that bit tourists
- - Tham Luang cave to be closed from Feb 19
- - Hua Hin: Thai woman trampled to death by elephants on her way to do the washing
- - Investigate this “mobile monk” sprinkling tourists with holy water!
- - Suspect in murder of two monks arrested
- - Iran summons Pakistan's envoy over deadly suicide bomb attack - Tasnim
- - Pakistan rolls out red carpet for Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed
- - Trump briefed in Florida on 'productive' China trade talks
- Older News
- Vote! Japan gay couples seek marriage rights in Valentine's lawsuit Bangkok Post (5 days ago) - TOKYO: Chizuka Oe and Yoko Ogawa have been together for 25 years, but when they...
- Vote! Teen Japan swimmer diagnosed with leukaemia BBC News Asia (6 days ago) - Japanese teenager Rikako Ikee, a medal favourite for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics, says she is...