Jailing of Teen Sparks Calls for Reform of Indonesia Abortion Laws
Activists have welcomed the release of a 15-year-old girl from jail on the Indonesian island of Sumatra on “humanitarian grounds” following her arrest for a home abortion after being repeatedly raped by her older brother. They worry, however, that proposed changes to the nation’s criminal code will reinforce the criminalization of abortion, target sexual minorities and even outlaw disseminating information about contraception. The victim, identified by authorities by her initials WA, was initially given a six-month jail sentence by the Muara Bulian district court in the province of Jambi for aborting a fetus eight months into her pregnancy. Her mother is also facing charges for allegedly assisting her daughter with the abortion. WA was charged with violating Indonesia’s Child Protection Law after local residents found a fetus in a palm oil plantation. Her 18-year-old brother who raped her nine times and threatened to harm her if she resisted was meanwhile... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline article, Jailing of Teen Sparks Calls for Reform of Indonesia Abortion Laws, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give 'Phuket Hotel Deals' a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you visit 'VOA NEWS'. Thank you
Popular Asia News Articles
- - Phuket Immigration clarifies new rules on retirement visas to start March 1
- - Thai woman murdered in Phuket – police search for Greek husband
- - Hotel man faces years in jail for shooting stray dog that bit tourists
- - Tham Luang cave to be closed from Feb 19
- - Hua Hin: Thai woman trampled to death by elephants on her way to do the washing
- - Investigate this “mobile monk” sprinkling tourists with holy water!
- - Suspect in murder of two monks arrested
- - Iran summons Pakistan's envoy over deadly suicide bomb attack - Tasnim
- - Pakistan rolls out red carpet for Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed
- - Trump: US Trade Talks with China Making 'Big Progress'