Jailed Reuters Journalists Denied Bail in Myanmar
Two Reuters journalists arrested in Myanmar for violating the country's colonial-era Official Secrets Act were denied bail during a court appearance Thursday. Wa Lone, 31, and Kyaw Soe Oo, 27, were arrested on December 12 after they were handed a stack of documents by two policemen at a restaurant in Yangon. The pair were covering the brutal military campaign in Rakhine state that has driven nearly 700,000 Rohingya Muslims across the border into Bangladesh since August. The two journalists face 14 years in prison if they are convicted under the law, which dates back to 1923 when Myanmar was known as Burma and ruled by Britain. Stephen J. Adler, Reuters president and editor-in-chief, issued a statement expressing his disappointment over the pair's continued imprisonment. "We believe the court proceedings will demonstrate their innocence and Wa Lone and Kyaw Soe Oo will be able to return to their jobs reporting... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline article, Jailed Reuters Journalists Denied Bail in Myanmar, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give 'Phuket Hotel Deals' a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you visit 'VOA NEWS'. Thank you
Popular Asia News Articles
- - Malaysia Upholds Ban on Israeli Athletes from Taking Part in Swimming Competition
- - Thai hotel staff head home after surviving Nairobi terrorism
- - Peace talks with Taliban will happen soon: U.S. envoy
- - China to face Thailand Sunday at Asian Cup
- - Goldman boss apologises for 1MDB scandal
- - Kisenosato, Japan's last remaining sumo champion, retires
- - Phuket maid caught hiding 2,600 meth pills, 3kg of cannabis in client’s house
- - Swedish tourist rescued at Patong Beach
- - Air quality for Thailand – January 17
- - ‘Haute Cuisine:’ Weed Tom Yum Lands Briton In Hot Water
- Older News
- Vote! Reuters' Myanmar Journalists Lose Appeal VOA NEWS (6 days ago) - Two Reuters journalists in Myanmar lost their appeal Friday against their conviction and seven-year jail...
- Vote! Myanmar court rejects appeal by Reuters reporters Bangkok Post (6 days ago) - YANGON: A Myanmar court on Friday rejected the appeal of two Reuters reporters sentenced to...
- Vote! Myanmar Reuters journalists lose appeal against 7-year sentence Bangkok Post (6 days ago) - YANGON: Two Reuters journalists jailed for seven years while investigating atrocities committed against the Rohingya...