Iranian Tanker to Leave Gibraltar Soon Despite US Pressure
The shipping agent for an Iranian supertanker caught in a diplomatic standoff says the vessel is ready to depart Gibraltar on Sunday or Monday, as the U.S. made a last-minute effort to seize it again.The head of the company sorting paperwork and procuring for the Grace 1 oil tanker in the British overseas territory said the vessel could be sailing away in the next “24 to 48 hours,” once new crews dispatched to the territory take over command of the ship.“The vessel is ongoing some logistical changes and requirements that have delayed the departure,” Astralship managing director Richard De la Rosa told The Associated Press.De la Rosa’s comments came a day after the U.S. obtained a warrant to seize the vessel over violations of U.S. sanctions on Iran. It was unclear if that could happen within a 24-hour time frame as Gibraltar officials have said any request to seize the vessel would have to make its way through the territory’s courts.He said the new crews were Indian and Ukrainian nationals hired by the Indian managers of the ship and that his company had not been informed about the supertanker’s next destination.Iranian Oil Tanker Freed by Gibraltar Despite US AppealBritish overseas territory of Gibraltar releases Iranian supertanker Grace 1 from detention after receiving assurances from Tehran that it would not send its crude oil cargo to SyriaThe tanker, which carries 2.1 million barrels of Iranian light crude oil, had been detained for over a month in Gibraltar for allegedly attempting to breach European Union sanctions on Syria. The arrest fueled tension between London and Tehran, which seized a British-flagged tanker in the Strait of Hormuz in apparent retaliation.Analysts had said the release of the Grace 1 by Gibraltar could see Britain’s Stena Impero go free.But late on Friday, a day after... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Iranian Tanker to Leave Gibraltar Soon Despite US Pressure, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Saturday, 17 August
- Older News
- Vote! Iran Says Tanker’s Oil Sold to Private Buyer, But It’s Unclear Any Was Delivered VOA NEWS (Yesterday) - This article originated in VOA’s Persian Service.Iran says it has sold oil on a tanker near Syria’s coast to a private company in defiance of U.S. efforts to stop such...
- Vote! Two British-Australians, 1 Australian Held in Iran VOA NEWS (2 days ago) - Two female dual British-Australian citizens and an Australian man have been detained in Iran. A British-Australian blogger and her Australian boyfriend were arrested 10 weeks ago, The Times of London reported Wednesday. The other...
- Vote! Britain Accuses Iran of Selling Adrian Darya 1 Tanker Oil to Syria VOA NEWS (3 days ago) - Britain's foreign minister on Tuesday said Iranian tanker Adrian Darya 1 had sold its crude oil to the Assad regime in Syria, breaking assurances it had given not to sell...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - PTT reveals regional LNG trading plan
- - Two Chinese tourists kidnapped in Philippines after losing US$140,000 at Okada casino
- - Scarred by Libya Abuse, Migrants Hope for New Life in Europe
- - Beijing rebukes HK tycoon Li for 'mercy' comment
- - Mugabe Will Have Private Burial at National Heroes' Acre
- - All Aboard India's First All Women-run Train Station
- - Judgment Day for Huffman, Facing Possible Prison for Scam
- - Chasing China, Japan looks to Africa for trade and global influence
- - VOA Our Voices 141: The Urban Shift
- - Garment factories to compensate workers