Iran Says It Seized British Oil Tanker in Strait of Hormuz
White House bureau chief Steve Herman contributed to this report.Iran says it has seized a British oil tanker that was passing through the Strait of Hormuz.Iran's state television said Friday that Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps captured the tanker, Stena Impero, off the Iranian province of Hormozgan for "not following international maritime regulations."It said the tanker was taken to a coastal area and turned over to authorities.Reuters news agency reports the company that manages the vessel, Northern Marine Management, was not able to contact the crew of the tanker after the vessel was approached by unidentified small crafts and a helicopter in the Strait of Hormuz. The company said the vessel was now heading north toward Iran.U.S. National Security Council spokesman Garrett Marquis said, "We are aware of reports that Iranian forces seized a British oil tanker," and said the United States "will continue to work with our allies and partners to defend our security and interests against Iran's malign behavior."Iran has already been accused by Washington of sabotaging a half-dozen oil tankers in the Strait of Hormuz. Iran has denied it has mounted any mining operations against shipping in the strait.Earlier this month, Britain detained an Iranian tanker on allegations that it was headed to Syria in violation of sanctions. That detention sparked outrage in Tehran, which accused London of doing the bidding of Washington in action that is "tantamount to maritime banditry."The Strait of Hormuz is a narrow sea passage between the Persian Gulf and the Gulf of Oman and one of the world's most important oil arteries. The 39-kilometer-wide and 154-kilometer-long strait is the only sea route to the open ocean for more than one-sixth of global oil production and a third of the world's liquified natural gas.... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Iran Says It Seized British Oil Tanker in Strait of Hormuz, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Friday, 19 July
- In the last 24 hours
- Vote! US Will Enforce Sanctions on Iran Tanker, Official Says VOA NEWS (Yesterday) - WASHINGTON - The United States will aggressively enforce its sanctions to prevent the private sector from assisting an Iranian oil tanker that is traveling through the Mediterranean and that Washington wants seized, a State Department...
- Older News
- Vote! Greece Says it Won't Assist Iranian Tanker Sought by US VOA NEWS (2 days ago) - Greece said on Wednesday it won’t endanger its relations with the United States by aiding an Iranian supertanker sought by the U.S. but released by Gibraltar that’s currently in the...
- Vote! US Drone Shot Down Over Yemen VOA NEWS (2 days ago) - A U.S. MQ-9 drone was shot down over Yemen by Houthi rebels late Tuesday, a U.S. official told VOA."It's the Houthis, but its enabled by Iran," the official said, speaking...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - China to Raise Tariffs on Another $75 Billion in US Goods
- - Climate change turns Greenland into strategic, economic hotspot
- - Hong Kong protesters target airport week after arrivals hall mayhem
- - UN: Myanmar Military Intended to Perpetrate Genocide Against Rohingya Muslims
- - Jewish Groups Speak Out Against Trump Immigration Policy
- - Crucial Round of US-Taliban Peace Talks Under Way
- - Crucial Round of US-Taliban Peace Talks Underway
- - US Tells Canada It's Urging China to Free Detained Canadians
- - New Sudan Sovereign Council Woman Vows to Uphold Rights of All
- - Nigerian Refugees Start Voluntary Return from Cameroon