Indonesian Teen Raped by Brother Jailed For Abortion
Indonesian police said Sunday a 15-year-old girl who was raped by her older brother has been sentenced to six months in jail for having an abortion. The brother received a two-year sentence for having sex with a minor. The siblings were convicted Thursday at Muara Bulian District Court on the island of Sumatra. Abortion is illegal in Indonesia, but is allowed in cases of rape. However, the abortion must be done by a healthcare professional within the first six weeks of the pregnancy. The girl had the abortion six months into her pregnancy, officials say. Authorities say it was revealed in court that her brother had raped her eight times since September. Their mother is also facing charges because she helped to abort the fetus. The siblings were arrested after a fetus was discovered at a palm oil plantation. Prosecutors had asked for a one-year sentence for the girl and seven years for her brother. If was not immediately clear if prosecutors will mount an appeal. ... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Indonesian Teen Raped by Brother Jailed For Abortion, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Sunday, 22 July, 2018
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - UN seeks to move thousands of Rohingya to island
- - The military-sponsored General Election of Thailand
- - Rights of ‘ordinary people’ in focus as 1 bln vote in Asia
- - Will Asian economies dominate the world in 2050?
- - Pakistan calls for peace with India as it shows off military might at Republic Day parade
- - Parties gear up campaigns on last day
- - EC warns against ballot selfies and betting
- - “Support good people to rule this country,” says King of Thailand on eve of election.
- - Trump sends top officials to Beijing to continue China trade talks
- - Political Rock Stars Turn Up Heat Ahead of Thai Elections