Indonesian Presidential Candidates Spar Over Corruption
Indonesian President Joko Widodo has accused his election rival of allowing corrupt candidates on his legislative ticket and failing to include women in senior positions. Widodo and former General Prabowo Subianto, along with their running mates, faced off Thursday in the first of five debates before the April 17 election. The debate focused on terrorism, human rights, corruption, and law and order. Opinion polls show Widodo commanding 52 percent to 54 percent popular support and Subianto 30 percent to 35 percent. About 10 percent of voters are undecided and another 15 percent are considered swing voters, meaning the race has the potential to tighten. Subianto, making his second bid for president after being narrowly defeated by Widodo in 2014, waffled when asked why his party has the highest number of candidates with corruption records. “Maybe the corruption they did was not huge, maybe he or she just, what I mean is, the theft was indeed wrong, but the most important thing to be eradicated was a corrupter who stole trillions of rupiah (hundreds of millions of dollars) of state money, of people’s money,” he said. Questioning Subianto’s opening statement of a commitment to empowering women, Widodo said he has nine women in important Cabinet positions but there are few women in the leadership of Subianto’s Gerindra party. Subianto said his party has many female candidates and criticized the quality of decision making by Widodo’s women ministers. Widodo, the first Indonesian president from outside the country’s Jakarta elite, has made upgrading Indonesia’s infrastructure the signature policy of his five year-term. In debating human rights, none of the candidates addressed Subianto’s involvement in human rights abuses during the dictator Suharto’s regime that ended two decades ago. ... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Indonesian Presidential Candidates Spar Over Corruption, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Thursday, 17 January, 2019
- Older News
- Vote! Sanders, Warren Among 2020 Candidates to Address Native Americans PHuket Hotel Deals News (3 days ago) - Phuket Travel Tips And Advise - Phuket Travel, Real Estate & Property AgentWASHINGTON – For the first time in more than a decade, Native Americans have the opportunity to question...
- Vote! US Envoy Slams Afghan Government's Anti-Corruption Resolve VOA NEWS (5 days ago) - The United States criticized Thursday the government in Afghanistan for releasing from jail and into house arrest a key "fraud perpetrator" before the conclusion of his sentence, allegedly in return...
- Vote! 26 Candidates to Run in Tunisia's Early Presidential Vote VOA NEWS (6 days ago) - Tunisia's independent electoral body says 26 candidates have qualified to run in the country's early presidential election on Sept. 15, out of 96 who were seeking the job.The number of...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Census Figures Show Economic Gap Narrows with Citizenship
- - Post-Brexit US-UK Trade Deal Under Threat
- - FBI: Truck Driver Threatened Mass Shooting at Memphis Church
- - 25th James Bond Film Gets a Title: 'No Time to Die'
- - Earth's Future Being Written in Fast-Melting Greenland
- - Israeli, US Militaries Simulate Ship Hijacking Amid Tensions
- - Italian PM Conte to Resign After League Party Pulls Backing
- - U.S. envoy to visit Qatar, Afghanistan for peace talks
- - U.S. warns Sri Lanka on investment, military ties after army chief promotion
- - It’s All About Presidential Memorabilia