Indonesia Orders Foreign Aid Workers Out in Wake of Tsunami
The Indonesian government says foreign aid workers who traveled to the island of Sulawesi after a devastating earthquake and tsunami last month must leave the country. Foreign aid agencies went to the quake zone after the earthquake on September 28 triggered a tsunami, causing massive destruction. The official death toll is nearing 2,000, with about 5,000 more people missing and presumed dead; 70,000 people have been displaced. Indonesia's national disaster mitigation agency (BNBP) issued new regulations for international nongovernmental organizations, saying, "Foreign NGOs who have deployed foreign personnel are advised to retrieve their personnel immediately." The announcement comes days before search efforts are scheduled to end. The Reuters news agency reports the search will be called off from Thursday, with officials citing concern about the spread of disease. Authorities also instructed foreign NGOs to provide aid through the Indonesian Red Cross, although multiple groups said they had trouble obtaining permits... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline article, Indonesia Orders Foreign Aid Workers Out in Wake of Tsunami, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give 'Phuket Hotel Deals' a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you visit 'VOA NEWS'. Thank you
- Older News
- Vote! 'Surprise' Palu tsunami clue found on seafloor BBC News Asia (7 days ago) - Scientists are getting closer to understanding the damaging tsunami that struck Sulawesi in September....