ICC Claims Jurisdiction to Probe Alleged Forced Mass Exodus of Rohingya From Myanmar
The International Criminal Court ruled Thursday it has jurisdiction to investigate the alleged forced mass exodus of Rohingya Muslims from Myanmar to neighboring Bangladesh as a possible crime against humanity. The Hague-based court said the top prosecutor must consider the ruling "as she continues with her preliminary examination concerning the crimes allegedly committed against the Rohingya people." The ruling came after chief prosecutor Fatou Bensouda, in an unprecedented move, asked judges for an opinion on whether she could investigate the deportations as a crime against humanity. The preliminary probe, which aims to determine if there is sufficient evidence to launch a full investigation, "must be concluded within a reasonable time," the court said. Myanmar is not a member of the court, but Bangladesh is — which was the basis of Bensouda's argument for jurisdiction. She compared deportation to "a cross-border shooting" that "is not completed until the bullet [fired in... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline article, ICC Claims Jurisdiction to Probe Alleged Forced Mass Exodus of Rohingya From Myanmar, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give 'Phuket Hotel Deals' a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you visit 'VOA NEWS'. Thank you
Popular Asia News Articles
- - Thailand 'ready to meet the Dragons'
- - Thai Buddhist monks killed in temple shooting
- - Five elephants saved from muddy pond
- - China: 'No need' to practice penalties for Thailand match
- - Trump: US 'Made a Lot of Progress' With N. Korea
- - Hakeem al-Araibi: calls grow for inquiry into police role in refugee footballer's arrest
- - Eye on Vietnam, The New Electronics Manufacturing Hub
- - Trump Says a Deal 'Could Very Well Happen' With China
- - ‘Don’t cry’: Serena Consoles Australian Open Foe; Halep Next
- - Activist wants Palang Pracharath donations probed
- Older News
- Vote! Hundreds of Rohingya families flee India after deportations REUTERS ASIA NEWS (3 days ago) - Hundreds of Rohingya Muslim families have left India for Bangladesh since seven Rohingya men were...