Human Rights Watch Urges Aid to Civilians in Myanmar's North
Myanmar's military should ensure humanitarian aid reaches all civilians who have been affected by clashes in the country's north between the army and an ethnic armed group, an international rights group urged Friday. Hostilities between Myanmar's military and guerrillas of the Kachin Independence Army escalated in mid-January to include three townships of Kachin state. The Kachin force is one of the most powerful ethnic militias and has skirmished with the military after a 17-year-old cease-fire pact broke down in 2011. Since then, more than 120,000 people have been displaced in the region along the border with China. The ongoing crisis in the state has been overshadowed by one in Myanmar's western state of Rakhine, where almost 700,000 members of the Muslim Rohingya ethnic group have fled to Bangladesh since last August to escape a brutal crackdown by the military and social and economic discrimination. New York-based Human Rights Watch urged... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline article, Human Rights Watch Urges Aid to Civilians in Myanmar's North, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give 'Phuket Hotel Deals' a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you visit 'VOA NEWS'. Thank you
Popular Asia News Articles
- - Gold prices unchanged at B19,350
- - I spent the first day of my honeymoon in a jail cell with my husband
- - Authorities enter Tham Luang Cave for first time since rescue of 13
- - Bangkok water spraying nightly to control haze
- - ‘Don’t cry’: Serena Consoles Australian Open Foe; Halep Next
- - Thai Buddhist monks killed in temple shooting
- - EU lifts yellow card on Thai fishing at some cost and with challenges ahead
- - Activist wants Palang Pracharath donations probed
- - 66 dead in Mexican pipeline blast
- - Wolves edge Leicester 4-3
- Older News
- Vote! Human Rights Watch: World's Autocrats Face Rising Resistance VOA NEWS (Yesterday) - Human Rights Watch says people around the world are confronting the abuses of autocrats and...
- Vote! Experts: N. Korean Human Rights Issue Remains Dire, Must be Part of Ongoing Talks VOA NEWS (3 days ago) - United Nations special rapporteur for human rights in North Korea, Tomas Quintana, visited South Korea...
- Vote! Human Rights Watch calls for sanctions against new Afghan defence minister REUTERS ASIA NEWS (6 days ago) - International rights group Human Rights Watch (HRW) has urged major donors to impose sanctions on...