House Looks Set to Pass Emergency Funding Bill for Migrants
Democratic leaders in the House proposed somewhat tighter requirements for the care of unaccompanied refugee children as they sought to pass a $4.5 billion emergency funding bill to address the humanitarian crisis involving the thousands of migrant families detained after crossing the U.S.-Mexico border.Lawmakers and aides said the concessions - and a full court press by top leaders such as Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif. - were likely to result in a winning tally when the measure comes to a vote later on Tuesday, despite lingering reservations among Hispanic and liberal Democrats.The Senate hopes to vote on a different, and bipartisan, companion measure as early as Tuesday as the chambers race to wrap up the must-do legislation by the end of the week. Many House Democrats say the Senate version's provisions aimed at helping migrant children are not strong enough. House Democrats seeking changes met late Monday with Pelosi, and lawmakers emerging from a morning caucus meeting were supportive of the legislation.Rep. Darren Soto, D-Fla., said the Democratic measure would fully fund migrant care and "make sure that we are treating these immigrant children with dignity like any other great country would."The White House is threatening to veto the House bill, saying the measure would hamstring the administration's border security efforts and raising fresh questions about the legislation's fate.Changes unveiled Tuesday would require the Department of Homeland Security to establish new standards for care of unaccompanied immigrant children and a plan for ensuring adequate translators to assist migrants in their dealings with law enforcement.Many children detained entering the U.S. from Mexico have been held under harsh conditions, and Customs and Border Protection Chief Operating Officer John Sanders told The Associated Press last week that children have died after being in the agency's care. He said Border Patrol stations are holding 15,000... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, House Looks Set to Pass Emergency Funding Bill for Migrants, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Tuesday, 25 June
- In the last 12 hours
- Vote! Trump Moves To End Asylum Protections for Central Americans VOA NEWS (Today) - The Trump administration is moving to end asylum protections for most Central American migrants. A rule published Monday bars migrants from seeking asylum in the United States if they've...
- Older News
- Vote! House Approves 9/11 Victims Bill, Sends It to Senate VOA NEWS (3 days ago) - The House has overwhelmingly approved a bill ensuring that a victims compensation fund for the Sept. 11 attacks never runs out of money.The 402-12 vote Friday sends the bill to...
- Vote! Democrats Push Trump Administration on Immigration Oversight VOA NEWS (4 days ago) - Congressional Democrats hope to put last month's scuffle over the $4.6 billion emergency border bill behind them with renewed oversight of the Trump administration's immigration policies and legislation to strengthen...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Haziq Abdul Aziz detained for role in Malaysian sex video implicating minister Azmin Ali
- - Student killed by electrocution in Phuket public park under investigation
- - Pastor confirmed with Ebola as disease spreads in DR Congo
- - Local Afghan Journalist Killed by Unknown Assailants
- - Djokovic saves match points to claim fifth Wimbledon title
- - Tropical Storm Barry Downgraded to Tropical Depression
- - Floods force millions to flee homes in India, Nepal and Bangladesh
- - Investors make DSI complaint against 'forex fraudster'
- - Derailment halts southern train services
- - Koreans find crying babies most annoying on flights