Hong Kong's High Court Overturns Convictions of 3 Pro-Democracy Activists
Three young Hong Kong democracy activists who were tried and convicted for leading the 2014 "Umbrella Movement" had their convictions and jail sentences overturned by the city's highest court Tuesday. The five-judge Court of Final Appeal unanimously accepted appeals filed by Joshua Wong, Nathan Law and Alex Chow of their sentences for unlawful assembly. Wong, Law and Chow initially received non-custodial sentences by a lower court in 2016 for storming a courtyard on the grounds of the government's headquarters in September 2014, which led to the massive protests that shut down several major highways for more than two months, in a demand for fully free elections. But prosecutors successfully convinced the court to impose jail sentences during a hearing last August. The 21-year-old Wong was sentenced to serve six months in jail, 24-year-old Law to eight months, and 27-year-old Chow to a seven-month sentence. The trio had served parts of... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline article, Hong Kong's High Court Overturns Convictions of 3 Pro-Democracy Activists, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give 'Phuket Hotel Deals' a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you visit 'VOA NEWS'. Thank you
Popular Asia News Articles
- - Don’t rip off tourists – be good hosts! – Pattaya tourism leader implores Thais
- - Exclusive: Sri Lanka says has $300 million loan offer from Bank of China, may increase to $1 billion
- - Top court orders compensation for Myanmar workers
- - 'Made in China 2025' Feels Trade War Pinch
- - Germany hold 'Iran spy' over Afghan ops
- - US English teacher faces rape charge, meets Big Joke who says he’ll be prosecuted then thrown out of Thailand
- - “What do you expect us to do? – Police do nothing after pervert intrudes into Lampang woman’s bedroom
- - China Warns Citizens About Travel to Canada
- - Sri Lanka seeks to increase swap amount to $1 billion from RBI
- - Explosion, gunfire at Nairobi hotel and office complex
- Older News
- Vote! Hong Kong scientists claim 'broad-spectrum' antiviral breakthrough Bangkok Post (Yesterday) - HONG KONG: Hong Kong scientists claim they have made a potential breakthrough discovery in the...
- Vote! Tension mounts over poll creep Bangkok Post (3 days ago) - Pro-democracy activists are demanding that a general election should take place no later than March...
- Vote! Hong Kong luxury home buyer bails, loses $4.6m deposit ASIAN CORRESPONDENT (5 days ago) - A HOME buyer in Hong Kong has walked out of the purchase of a luxury...