Hong Kong Teachers Rally, Start Weekend of Protests
Thousands of schoolteachers in Hong Kong marched to the official residence of the city’s leader Saturday as another weekend of protests got underway in the Chinese territory.An overflow crowd rallied at a nearby public square before setting off on streets that had been closed to traffic, carrying signs that read “Protect the next generation” and umbrellas to ward off intermittent downpours.The teachers tied white ribbons to a metal fence near Government House to show their support for the protesters, who have taken to the streets since early June and include many students. They said the government of leader Carrie Lam should answer the protesters’ demands and stop using what they called police violence to disperse demonstrators who have taken over streets and besieged and defaced government buildings.“We want to protect our students, our youngsters, so teachers are willing to come out and speak for the youngsters, and also, to stand by them so they are not alone,” said Fung Wai-wah, president of the Hong Kong Professional Teachers’ Union, which organized the march.People take part in the "Reclaim Hung Hom and To Kwa Wan, Restore Tranquility to Our Homeland" demonstration against the extradition bill in To Kwa Wan neighborhood, Hong Kong, Aug. 17, 2019.Protesters were marching through a district on the Kowloon side of Victoria Harbor, and a counter-rally backing the government was planned for later Saturday.“Even though we’re all scared of getting arrested, we have to keep going,” said Minnie Lee, a 31-year-old logistics worker who was marching in Kowloon. “What we are fighting for is democracy and our rights. We’re not doing anything wrong. If we stop now, things will only get worse.”Police drills across borderA rally in Victoria Park has been called for Sunday by a pro-democracy group that has organized three massive marches through central Hong Kong... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Hong Kong Teachers Rally, Start Weekend of Protests, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Saturday, 17 August
- In the last 5 hours
- Vote! Hong Kong's summer of protests leaves economy bruised Bangkok Post (Today) - HONG KONG: As pro-democracy protests grind on for a fourth month, Hong Kong has been left counting the cost, with the city’s tourist industry battered and businesses forced to lay...
- In the last 24 hours
- Vote! Hong Kong Activists Urge US Lawmakers to Support Protesters and Stand Up to Beijing VOA NEWS (Yesterday) - Prominent Hong Kong activist Joshua Wong urged U.S. lawmakers Tuesday to support human rights and democracy in the semiautonomous Chinese territory, declaring, "The stakes have never been higher."Wong's appeal for...
- Older News
- Vote! Hong Kong leader to hold dialogue aimed at easing tensions Bangkok Post (Yesterday) - HONG KONG: Hong Kong's leader, Carrie Lam, said on Tuesday she and her team would begin dialogue sessions with the community next week, while reiterating that violence that has roiled...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Explosion Kills 24 People at Election Rally in Northern Afghanistan
- - Blast kills 24 near election rally for Afghan president: health official
- - Blast outside rally in central Afghanistan kills at least 24
- - Pakistan, India Join Russia-Led Military Drills Despite Kashmir Tensions
- - Ghani Escapes Election Violence That Killed 24
- - Taliban attacks kill 30, Afghan leader unhurt as bomb hits rally
- - Explosion hits Afghan capital Kabul, six killed
- - China signals veto in standoff with U.S. over Afghan U.N. mission: diplomats
- - Panda Lin Hui acting normally after Xuang Xuang's death
- - Philippines’ Duterte claims he ordered ambush, but palace said he ‘misspeaks’ Tagalog