Hong Kong Charity Diverts Annual Mooncake Waste
At a community center on Shek Lei public housing estate in northern Hong Kong, stacks of mooncake boxes are waiting to be distributed on Mid-Autumn Festival the following day. Inside they contain some of the 76,000 mooncakes that have been collected by Food Grace, a local charity, this holiday season to be redistributed to low-income families and individuals. Most are leftovers from manufacturers, says Food Grace Project Officer Casey Ng, who over-produced in an attempt to cash in on the Chinese tradition of exchanging boxes of mooncakes with friends and family each autumn – now a $2 billion international industry. “I would say the excessive situation has been there [historically], but it’s kind of a growing situation because some mooncake manufacturers have to record higher sales each year,” he said. Redistributing mooncakes is just one solution in how to tackle the more than 2 million mooncakes, valued at least $12.8 million, that will be thrown out after in Hong Kong alone after Mid-Autumn Festival. Ng attributed much of the glut to the trend for new flavors each year or expensive luxury varieties of mooncakes. While mooncakes, calorie-dense flaky pastries meant to represent the full moon, are traditionally made with simple fillings like red bean or egg yolk, they now come in a range of flavors from chocolate to pandan or vanilla custard. An ordinary box of four retails for around $25, but specialty boxes produced by high end hotels or luxury manufactures can sell for over $100 each in complex packaging. While they are exchanged between family members, they are also often given out at work to mark a business relationship. The exchange, though, can become a financial and social burden, according to Ng, which is why Food Grace has also created a mooncake charter for companies to pledge not... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Hong Kong Charity Diverts Annual Mooncake Waste, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Tuesday, 25 September, 2018
- In the last 24 hours
- Vote! HK leader decries German asylum for 'bail jumpers' Bangkok Post (Today) - HONG KONG: Hong Kong’s leader has summoned the German consul to complain over Germany granting political asylum to a pair of Hong Kong political activists....
- Vote! Hong Kong-based TV asks DSI to tackle piracy Bangkok Post (Today) - Executives of a Hong Kong-based television channel and its Thai partners have asked the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) to tackle online piracy after their drama series and television shows...
- Older News
- Vote! Boy or girl? Hong Kong at centre of banned China gender test Bangkok Post (2 days ago) - HONG KONG: Shady middle-men are openly advertising on Chinese social media to smuggle blood samples of pregnant women to Hong Kong to skirt the mainland's ban on gender testing, an...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - 77 year old Swede dies from heart attack on beach in Trat
- - Myanmar, Thailand keen to co-host Under-20 World Cup
- - Japan takes 15 phone-scam suspects from Thailand
- - Three injured in fresh seafood pickup accident in Krabi
- - IKEA Thailand launches full online store
- - Watch out Thailand, here comes Vietnam
- - Truck driver dodges charge for dangerous load as 33 tons of rice flip semi-trailer onto its side
- - Police load up charges against axe-weilding road-rage ambulance attackers
- - Cannon, gun base at Racha Noi declared items of national heritage
- - Taiwan to Expand Joint Rescue Operations in Disputed Sea