Gambia apologizes to Thailand over sex destination remark by its minister
The Gambian government has officially apologized to the Thai government over sex tourism comments made by its its Tourism and Culture Minister, Hamat Bah, according to africanews.com website. In a statement released on Monday, the Gambia’s Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation Ministry described Bah’s comments as “unfortunate,” stressing that Gambia cherished the cordial relations between both countries. “The Ministry extends its profound assurances to the Government of Thailand that the remarks of the Minister are not to be construed as a reflection of the Government’s view on the Tourism Sector of Thailand,” the statement read. Bah in a January 2018 interview on a local channel suggested that sex tourists should head to Thailand because Gambia, as a religious nation would not welcome them. “We are not a sex destination. If you want a sex destination, you go to Thailand. The Gambia is not a sex destination. We are not, we are not and please every Gambian must sing that song,” Bah said in the interview. The comments sparked a diplomatic row leading the Thai government to officially lodge a protest. A foreign affairs spokeswoman, Makawadee Sumitmor confirmed last week that Thai diplomats in Senegal, who had jurisdiction for The Gambia filed the letter of displeasure whiles a similar letter was sent to the Gambian embassy in Malaysia, which also serves Thailand. Though the comments were made two months ago, it resurfaced after an online new agency republished it attracting the attention of Thai authorities after it went viral on the country’s social media space. Regarding to the remark above made by Gambian Tourism and Culture Minister Hamat Bah, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha urged all parties concerned to help solve prostitution problem so that Thailand will not be seen as a sex destination by foreign tourists. Thai Culture minister Veera Rojpojchanarat... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Gambia apologizes to Thailand over sex destination remark by its minister, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: Thai PBS NETWORK - Tuesday, 6 March, 2018
- Older News
- Vote! Thailand’s tourism industry looks to cash in on new same-sex partnership bill SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (5 days ago) - Thailand is advancing same-sex partnership legislation and tourism – one of the nation’s biggest industries – is paying close attention.Amid an election campaign, a measure that would give gay and...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Asian stocks mixed as investors await US-China trade developments
- - All-girls international school comes to Bangkok
- - Chiang Mai joins Global Climate Strike on its most polluted day.
- - Flash Floods, Earthquake in Indonesia Kill Over 80
- - Air Pollution Cuts Lives Short by More Than Two Years in Thailand
- - One dead, kids injured in school bus accident in Prachinburi
- - Indonesia’s gambling with a tax on e-commerce. Will it pay off?
- - Should Media Avoid Naming the Gunmen in Mass Shootings?
- - Water sharing in Indonesia key to smothering transboundary haze
- - Asian stocks trade higher as investors await US-China trade developments