French Prosecutors Want Air France Tried for 2009 Crash
PARIS — French prosecutors want Air France to stand trial for manslaughter in the 2009 crash of a flight from Rio de Janeiro to Paris that killed all 228 people aboard, a judicial official said Wednesday. Prosecutors also have asked that the case against Airbus, maker of the doomed aircraft, be dropped for lack of evidence. The official wasn't authorized to speak about the case and asked to remain anonymous. Air France Flight 447 left Rio de Janeiro for Paris but crashed into the Atlantic Ocean on June 1, 2009. The Accident Investigation Bureau found that external speed sensors were frozen and produced irregular readings on the aircraft, which went into an aerodynamic stall. A plethora of problems appear to have doomed the flight as it traveled through turbulence. The captain was on a rest break when the emergency arose, the autopilot disengaged and the co-pilots struggled to fly the aircraft manually. In their final summing up on Friday of the investigation, prosecutors cited negligence and insufficient training that led to chaos in the cockpit. Airbus had warned pilots a year earlier about possible incorrect speed readings from the plane's external sensors, known as Pitot tubes, but changed them only after the crash. A report last year that was part of the judicial investigation blamed the Flight 447 pilots for failing to apply correct procedures, thus losing control of the aircraft. A victims group, AF 447 Victim Solidarity, contested the 2018 report, saying it freed Airbus of all responsibility in the accident. ... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, French Prosecutors Want Air France Tried for 2009 Crash , simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Wednesday, 17 July
- Older News
- Vote! France Honors Allied Veterans of World War II Landings VOA NEWS (4 days ago) - French President Emmanuel Macron is celebrating U.S. and African veterans as well as French resistance fighters who took part in crucial but often-overlooked World War II landings on the Riviera....
- Vote! UN Expert Urges France to Try Nationals on Death Row in Iraq VOA NEWS (7 days ago) - A U.N. human rights expert on Monday called on the French government to repatriate and try seven French nationals sentenced to death on terror charges in Iraq.In a statement, Agnes...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Hong Kong Protests Spread Worldwide
- - Sudanese Celebrate Signing of Political Agreement After Months of Protests
- - Startup Ideas, Courtesy of Government Labs: One Firm Connects Entrepreneurs With New Technology
- - A Digital Setting For A Classical Violin Concert
- - Where learned you that oath, fool?
- - Singaporean gets life in prison for killing Chinese lover, burning her body over 3 days
- - Malaysia dangles post-Brexit trade deal in front of Britain if it breaks with EU on palm oil ban
- - Britain's Prince Andrew 'appalled' by Epstein abuse claims: report
- - Cambodia launches state-backed online sales platform
- - Prawit opposes visa waiver for Chinese, Indian visitors