France: Franco-Iranian Academic Arrested in Iran, Allegedly for Spying
A Franco-Iranian academic has been arrested in Iran and denied access to consular staff, the French Foreign Ministry said Monday.Fariba Adelkhah, an anthropologist at the French university Sciences Po, was arrested for allegedly spying , according to Iranian media outlets. Separately, the Reuters news agency reports she was arrested in June."The French authorities in this difficult context have taken steps with Iranian authorities to get information from them on her situation and the conditions of her arrest and asked for consular access as is foreseen in these circumstances, necessary precursor for her quick release," Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Agnes von der Muhll said in a statement."No satisfactory response has been given to these requests. France calls on the Iranian authorities to bring to light Mrs. Adelkhah's situation and reiterates its requests, in particular the authorization of consular access without delay," she also said.Iranian officials have not confirmed the charges.The arrest comes as many European nations seek to de-escalate tensions, following the United States' withdrawal from a 2015 international Iran nuclear deal. ... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, France: Franco-Iranian Academic Arrested in Iran, Allegedly for Spying, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Monday, 15 July
- In the last 12 hours
- Vote! US Warns Against 'Facilitating' Freed Iranian Tanker VOA NEWS (Today) - The United States is warning entities in the Mediterranean against working with an Iranian-flagged oil tanker now moving through the region after being freed from detention by Gibraltar. The U.S....
- Older News
- Vote! Iran warns US against seizing tanker Bangkok Post (Yesterday) - TEHRAN: Tehran said Monday it has warned its arch-foe Washington against attempting to seize an Iranian tanker that has set sail from waters off Gibraltar after being impounded for six...
- Vote! Seized Iranian Tanker Expected to Leave Gibraltar VOA NEWS (2 days ago) - Last update: 1:45 p. m.Iran said its seized oil tanker was expected to leave Gibraltar on Sunday after authorities there rejected a U.S. bid to detain it, but it was...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Census Figures Show Economic Gap Narrows with Citizenship
- - 5 bedroom Panoramic Sea View Villa for sale Ao Po
- - Cameroon President Assists Militia After Boko Haram Raids
- - Brad Paisley out; Reba, Dolly, Carrie Underwood to Host CMAs
- - NY Police Fire Officer Involved in 2014 Chokehold Death
- - With Eyes On Election, Netanyahu Calls For Closer Ties With Ukraine
- - Ugandan Coach Scouts for Major League Baseball Talent in Africa
- - Trump Calls on Federal Reserve to Cut Interest Rates
- - Ugandan Coach Scouts Major League Baseball Talent in Africa
- - US Scraps West Bank Conference over Palestinian Protests