Floods continue to cause havoc in the north, west and central
Floods are causing havoc across swathes of provinces across Thailand. From the north in Chiang Mai, to the west in Kanchanaburi and as far south as Prachuap Khiri Khan and Ranong. The Thai Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation chief says that the flooding has been triggered by tropical storm Son-Tinh which still sits over Laos, so far affecting 13 Thai provinces and 2,369 families between July 17 and today (July 22). Director-general Chayapol Thitisak said 23 districts witnessed flooding and in some cases landslides in Kanchanaburi, Tak, Chiang Mai, Mae Hong Son, Phichit, Nakhon Sawan, Trat, Phrae, Phetchabun, Phitsanulok, Ranong, Phetchaburi and Prachuap Khiri Khan. Conditions have normalised in 10 provinces, he said, but there is still flooding in six districts in three provinces. In Kanchanaburi’s Sangkhla Buri district, 400 families are affected, in Tak’s Mae Ramat, Phop Phra, Tha Song Yang and Umphang districts 80 families, and in Prachuap Khiri Khan’s Hua Hin district another 80 families, though the water level is decreasing. Next cause for concern, says the Meteorological Department, is a tropical depression over the upper South China Sea that’s moving towards the upper Philippines at a maximum sustained wind speed of 55 kilometres per hour. It will not affect Thailand directly, the department predicted, but travellers should monitor the situation if they are travelling in these regions. “The southwest monsoon over the Andaman Sea and Gulf of Thailand is also strong, creating waves up to three metres high”, it says. “Ships should proceed with caution and small boats should stay ashore”. Chayapol said he had contacted officials in provinces in the East and upper South to be prepared in case of flooding or seaborne mishaps. STORY: The Nation The post Floods continue to cause havoc in the north, west and central appeared first on The Thaiger.... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Floods continue to cause havoc in the north, west and central, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: Phuket Gazette - Sunday, 22 July, 2018
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - UN seeks to move thousands of Rohingya to island
- - The military-sponsored General Election of Thailand
- - Rights of ‘ordinary people’ in focus as 1 bln vote in Asia
- - Will Asian economies dominate the world in 2050?
- - Pakistan calls for peace with India as it shows off military might at Republic Day parade
- - Parties gear up campaigns on last day
- - EC warns against ballot selfies and betting
- - “A clean and fair election”, EC assures international delegates
- - “Support good people to rule this country,” says King of Thailand on eve of election.
- - Trump sends top officials to Beijing to continue China trade talks