Flooding in Phuket, Phetchaburi and Mae Hong Son
PHOTO: Samkong underpass, Phuket – Newshawk Bad weather has hit Phang Nga and Phuket this morning whilst the flooding waters from the Kaeng Krachan dam in Phetchaburi are now reaching the main business district. In Phuket the major arteries are being clogged by flooding waters creating havoc for this morning’s peak hour. The Marine Office has issued a warning for boats heading to sea today. Rain started around 3am and continued until at least 9am with a couple of key major downpours drifting in from the west. The island’s main artery, Thepkasattri Road has had heavy flooding on the way into Phuket Town. Also around the island’s busy Samkong underpass intersection. Meanwhile, sandbags are being piled up along the banks of Phetchaburi River in Phetchaburi province’s economic zone as water levels are getting dangerously high. The Muang Phetchaburi Municipality also flew a red flag yesterday to alert local residents that the situation was getting serious. “Relevant authorities had updated locals about the situation in advance,” Deputy Prime Minister Chatchai Sarikulya said, adding that conditions at Kaeng Krachan Dam, located in Phetchaburi’s Kaeng Krachan district, were “most critical”. The dam has been brimming over for weeks now, and though it has been discharging up to 22.75 million cubic metres of water daily, it was still 109 per cent full as of yesterday. Runoffs from the dam have been flowing into the Phetchaburi River, which runs through several districts before draining into the sea. As of yesterday, the river’s water level was about 39 per cent higher at a measuring station in Muang district. The authorities have been doing their best to keep the heart of Phetchaburi town dry by erecting temporary 40 to 60-centimetre flood barriers along the banks of the river. The officials have also been pumping water into the... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Flooding in Phuket, Phetchaburi and Mae Hong Son, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: Phuket Gazette - Wednesday, 22 August, 2018
- Older News
- Vote! Drug kingpin's son-in-law finally captured Bangkok Post (6 days ago) - A son-in-law of northern drug kingpin Laota Sanlee who has evaded arrest on charges of possession of 336 grammes of heroin and 20 kilogrammes of crystal methamphetamine for almost 16...
- Vote! Thailand swelters under the Songkran sun Phuket Gazette (6 days ago) - Temperatures are soaring around the country, right on time, as the Songkran holiday kicks in. People are heading home for the annual Thai New Year break whilst the tourists are...
- Vote! Architects of Hong Kong’s Umbrella Movement Convicted of Conspiracy, Incitement PHuket Hotel Deals News (6 days ago) - Phuket Travel Tips And Advise - Phuket Travel, Real Estate & Property AgentMandarin Service correspondent Shen Hua from Hong Kong contributed to this report. HONG KONG — The original architects...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Evangelical Group Says Laos Has Deported 3 American Missionaries
- - Thailand busts 'seasteading' effort by American
- - Wildfire contained at Phromthep Cape, fire warning re-issued
- - After Songkran, Phuket water reductions continue to stretch reserves until rains return
- - PHUKET XTRA: VIDEO: Cobra eggs missing! Arrest in Phi Phi rape case! Worst Songkran road record? || April 18
- - King cobra female caught in Patong, 30 eggs missing from nest
- - Soldier dies after motorbike hits power pole in Thalang
- - US bitcoin trader may face death penalty in Thailand over 'sea home'
- - Nissan is said to cut global production by 15 percent
- - Indonesian election: What to expect in Joko Widodo’s second presidential term